Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Sportscar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG E-CELL - Prototype Drive

More proof that an electric future wouldn’t be all bad.

That was a very positive review. I like this particular feature (and that they found something to do with the paddle shifters):
The SLS E-CELL offers four modes of regenerative braking, in addition to being completely off in the Manual powertrain setting, which leaves you "sailing" with minimal drivetrain drag. Paddles on the steering column allow you to gradually increase the resistance; steps one and two feel like a regular car coasting; step three is a bit more aggressive, and step four decelerates the SLS so strongly that AMG considered switching on the brake lights as soon as you take your foot of the accelerator. Unlike Tesla, AMG decided not to. This mode is perfect for extreme driving, when you are standing on one of the two pedals at all times anyway.

Also like that they can stick batteries in the SLS's already huge transmission tunnel. I worry a bit that Tesla's (Model S platform based) Roadster replacement will have to compromise a sporty low seating position because of the flat battery pack.

Caught that vid yesterday on Wired. I think this is the first time I've seen a car with one motor per wheel driven somewhat aggressively, so that's encouraging. From the video the handling doesn't look too bad either. At the 5:35 point you can see the LCD instrument cluster. I kinda wish they would increase the data refresh rate on those virtual gauges to smooth things out. That stuttering needle reminds me of some LabView code I had running on a slow computer some years back. The way they did the speedo is kinda cool. The needle stays at TDC and the gauge itself (i.e. the numbered scale) rotates. But again the motion has to be smooth, otherwise it's annoying.

Any idea what the paddle shifters are for?
If you read up a few posts you'll see the paddle shifters are used to select regen profile.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice something familiar about the color?

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/06/mercedes-amg-sls-e-cell/
Mercedes-Benz-AMG-SLS-E-Cell-01-660x412.jpg

4527826728_05422b7666_z.jpg

Last edited:
I was reading Autocar's review in the paper magazine and noticed the following:

Nor can we confirm whether the claimed eight-hour charge time is possible on a 16-amp/240-volt system, such as the UK's.

Really? Yet you state that the battery is 48kWh.

Leaving aside the fact that the UK standard outlet is 230V / 13A, this is very easy to confirm.

So I looked at the online article and it goes one step further:

Recharging is via a multi-pin 240 volt plug, with total recharge time of eight hours at 16 amps. With an external 240 amp charger this can be reduced to less than one hour, although the values are in no way final.

That's right - because they're wrong...

I mean, I know these journalists were probably not paying attention in maths at school, but if you are going to write about a vaguely technical subject at least know some basic arithmetic. It really is getting tedious seeing the same old mistakes again and again, now.

Anyway, he then goes on to say:

The SLS E-Cell doesn’t handle quite as well as the SLS AMG at this early stage. But given that the prototype weighs close on 2000kg, its overall dynamics are a revelation compared to some of the half baked electric cars that have gone before it.

I suspect he is not taking pot shots at the G-Wiz in this instance...

Jay Leno Tests High-End Electric Car

From ECT Coop: Jay Leno Tests High-End Electric Car

It’s a $250,000 piece of machinery that goes from zero to 62 in 3.8 seconds. It’s equipped with a liquid-cooled, high-voltage lithium-ion battery, with an energy content of 48 kilowatt-hours. A touchscreen on the center console provides information on the flow of power from the four electric motors, along with changing the radio station and turning up the heat.

Notice he didn't mention that the Tesla is faster at half the money. I think Jay is still bitter that TMC wouldn't give him a Roadster.

Last edited:
Interesting specs. However, I would prefer a Model S performance, even at no price difference.

There are a few errors, like:
Consumption 268 kW/km. (I hope it is Wh/km)
Peak output 55 kW and contineous of 138 kW

GSP

Here's an e-mail I just got about it:

sls_electricdrive_title.jpg

sls_electricdrive.jpg

Introducing the SLS AMG COUPÉ ELECTRIC DRIVE.
The world's most powerful electric super sports car
dotted_divider.gif

The SLS AMG Coupé Electric Drive is setting new standards for full-electric vehicles. As the most powerful gullwing model ever, it is also representative of the enduring innovational strength of Mercedes-AMG.

The high-voltage battery for the SLS AMG Coupé Electric Drive is the result of cooperation between Mercedes-AMG and Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains in Brixworth (GB). This is an area in which the British Formula 1 experts to contribute their extensive know-how with KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) hybrid concepts.

The pioneering drive package in the SLS AMG Coupé Electric Drive is impressive and guarantees a completely innovative and electrifying driving experience: enormous thrust is delivered by four synchronous electric motors providing a combined maximum output of 552 kW (751 hp) and maximum torque of 1000 Nm. The very special gullwing model accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 3.9 seconds, and can reach a top speed of 250 km/h (electronically limited). The agile response to accelerator pedal input and the linear power output provide pure excitement: unlike with a combustion engine, the build-up of torque is instantaneous with electric motors – maximum torque is effectively available from a standstill.

The SLS AMG Coupé Electric Drive is aimed at technology-minded super sports car fans who want to be at the forefront of the future of high-performance Motoring.

Disappointing acceleration given the power and torque numbers. 155 miles range (bound to be NEDC and therefore fantasy) from 60 kWh is poor. And 2.1 tonnes is a pig.

It also seems wilfully complicated for production with 2 gearboxes and 4 motors. It spoils the conceptual simplicity of the battery electric car.

Why not take a proven package the Tesla power system (they are still investors?) and dress it as an SLS? - Though I suppose that a cornerstone of the Mercedes/BMW brands is engineering complexity.