Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Sportscar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it has 60kWh of batteries but only a 155 mile range (and no Supercharger)? Performance sounds somewhat better than an MSP but it costs 5x as much ($535k). Suddenly Tesla charging extra for maintenance and 60kWh Supercharger access doesn't seem so bad.

Mercedes AMG on Geneva Motor Show

I just saw the announcement of the Mercedes AMG electric, seems to be due out in 2015. It's the first time I saw it, but obviously nothing new. It's astonishing that the AMG only achieves a 0-60miles acceleration of 3.9sec, somewhat slower than the Tesla Roadster Sport, with much more horsepower (over 500 kW). Why is this so? What makes the AMG inferior in terms of acceleration? Is it another design with higher max speed but lower acceleration?

@ggr - What's your one sentence assessment for how it compares with current top-of-the-line Tesla Roadsters? (Your previous post was in comparison to the S, I presume.)

Well, having previously owned an AMG mercedes (CLK63) which got traded in on the Model S, I think I might be uniquely placed to answer this :)!

The Roadster is a pretty spartan car, in terms of creature comforts. Of course the SLS AMG is pretty much Merc's top of the line, so there won't be anything spartan about it. It will be refined, quiet, smooth, and perform within an inch of your heart attack. The Roadster gets 2 out of those 4. So half as good for 1/4 the price. (Actually about the price; most of the articles have said something like 400k Euros, but at least one has said something about 250k Dollars. But I haven't gone back, since I simply don't believe the latter.)

I like all wheel drive. I'd definitely love to have one of these. But I don't consider it value for money, whereas the Roadster is the most fun you can have, and the Model S is also fantastic, but in a different way. So I've sort of got it all, for half the price!

Impressive. A top speed of 250kph (155mph) is nothing to sneeze at. The power gauge goes up to approx. 120kW, and the needle sometimes reached around 110kW. This seems tall gearing to me.

It was a bit downhill, but it got to 259km/hr or so at 7:39.

Sub-8:00 is wicked fast! Unfortunately, the Roadster's ~200km/hr top end it a bit of a limiter, as is its heavy back end, to permit optimal 'ring times. I wonder how a P85 would do there.

Watching that video makes me want to go play GT5!