Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric MINI revealed -- The Mini E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Green Car Congress: AC Propulsion System Powers the MINI E

acpropminie1.png

Thank you for pointing me to that blog. I guess it is copper alright.
We’ve studied the EV-1 motor carefully. The technique they used to construct their copper rotor was not great, resulting in suboptimal efficiency, and (I suspect) low manufacturing yield.
We have studied AC Propulsion’s rotor manufacturing technique. Their process creates a motor with much better efficiency. But there is quite a bit of hand labor and tweekmanship in the process, and it would not work for the production volumes we forecast at Tesla.
Maybe BMW will give ACP a hand in optimizing their manufacturing procces.

Mounted where the back seats would normally be are 5,088 AC Propulsion lithium-ion battery cells, similar to those in most mobile phones.
AC Propulsion batteries? I don't think so.
Starting takes about 10 seconds, as the electronics check the state of the battery and confirm the vehicle is working correctly.
That seems ridiculously long to wait to get moving, an EV should start at least as fast as an ICE.

Last edited:
I imagine there is a substantial bulkhead in front of the battery pack. Really the location isn't that much different than Tesla's, is it?
Frankly, I'm glad they are doing an EV and I understand why they would use a Mini, but it's a terrible vehicle to convert. Most home conversions have better battery placement than that because they have more space to work with.

I was in a newsagent this afternoon and saw Modern Mini Magazine had a pretty comprehensive (IIRC) 6 page review of the Mini E. I didn't have time to read the whole thing (and wasn't feeling like buying it) but in conclusion they said it is a good start and "Rome wasn't built in a day"...

UK members might like to pick up a copy if they are interested.