Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric MINI revealed -- The Mini E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lot of "whining" about Mini E home charging unit installation in this Wired article. Did any Roadster owners experience "red tape" issues with HPC installation?

Yeah, read that before seeing the article here. I agree with JRP3, what you plug in is your business. Though, I can see the permit being required so they make sure the wiring is done properly since it is a lot of juice coming through the lines.

Well, there is IEC 62196 (Mennekes) for the European part of the world. Also, I thought that committee was supposed to vote on J1772 at the end of October; delays once again?

It would be nice to have a standard plug over here for plug-in Hybrids and BEVs. Would make life so much easier in the long run. Hopefully this happens in the very near future.

-Shark2k

Mini-E 240V Clipper Creek charging stations:
EVcharger.jpg

3589462042_99d3b78acb.jpg
6a00c22523dc038e1d011017be4152860e-320pi

Although there was a hiccup at the beginning getting the 240V installations approved.
Driving the MINI E Electric Car: The First 1200 Miles
...even though BMW installed a 240v/32amp charger in my garage, the connector cord UL certification was delayed so all this time I’ve depended on a 12a/120v charger. This charger can only recharge the car at a rate of about 3.3% (3.3 miles) per hour, so it takes 30 hours for a full charge...

Last edited:
It snowed overnight in much of the UK and on a local lunchtime news report, a BBC camera crew inadvertently captured a Mini E out in it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=508&d=1261147296.jpg

Fortunately the remote control was to hand to prove to those who doubted that the car would work in the cold :smile:

Attachments

• mini-e.jpg
    mini-e.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 240
My MINI E

My MINI E arrived this week; such a different car to the Tesla, no it doesn't re-locate your internal organs off the line but in exchange it cossets you like a warm blanket. If the roadster is like an electric kart, the MINI is a big bumper car, you point it and it zooms off, in near silence.

If you've not been following the MINI E tech, under the bonnet it's more of a science experiment than the Roadster with bare connectors exposed and known, er, 'issues' with the software but inside it's MINI R56, all funky and fun with the rev. counter converted to a battery level gauge.

The battery is located in the space normally occupied by the rear seats leaving little space back there, perhaps less than the Roadster for storage. The battery is air cooled, a little smaller in capacity than the Roadster but, as the car is much heavier the range is only 85-125 miles depending upon temperaure. Charging is via an included 120v 12A cable or, in time they'll be fitting a 50A wall charger. There are no controlls for charge start/stop or level of charge; range, storage, etc. I hope the wall charger can control time of day at least.

The motor is air cooled and virtually silent, on the highway it's quiet, really quiet, no wind, tire or motor noise.

Handling is "MINI with three people in the back"; very direct and chuckable but it untimately feels rear heavy with the inside front wheel easily spinning through corners. It IS fun to drive though so it's still a MINI. It's softer sprung on its 16" wheels compared to the more hard core JCW MINI I had last year.

It'll be used day-to-day for shopping trips and local commuting where I think it's best.

I wonder if, with some thought BMW could put the batteries under the floor of a Clubman model to make a four seater with 150+ mile range. If they could I doubt that they could make enough to meet demand.

Attachments

• 04 A bit of sunshine.JPG
    04 A bit of sunshine.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 80
  • 02 MINI E first charge.JPG
    02 MINI E first charge.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
My MINI E arrived this week

How many EVs does one man need? :tongue::biggrin: Congrats.

I wonder if, with some thought BMW could put the batteries under the floor of a Clubman model to make a four seater with 150+ mile range. If they could I doubt that they could make enough to meet demand.

Not just a Clubman - a conversion house in London has done this with a normal car.

Synergy Innovations | New website coming soon...

Although, how many more of these they have built since is not clear.

In fact, in the FAQ section of the UK site, it actually addresses this. One of the reasons is the Clubman is too heavy and the second is that having the battery in the rear means it isn't as useful (in terms of what the Clubman is supposed to be for). I suspect taking the off the shelf ACP system is the origin of this restriction. Now that BMW are engineering their own systems, you get the underfloor battery of this new 1 Series ActiveE.

Although, while BMW won't make a Clubman, it isn't stopping these guys.

Once it's completed, the extended MINI will be packing 54 kWh of lithium badness to power its AC motor. That should give it a real world 150-mile range, leaving the official MINI E from BMW crying for an extension cord. All that and a back seat too!

Although, while BMW won't make a Clubman, it isn't stopping these guys.

I watched their project up to about episode 18... I checked in today; they're in the 30's now, it really went off the rails in the teens when they added intollerable background, no, foreground music, today it's like watching paint dry... they even speak slowly. In todays show they're discussing in detail, what happens when you don't pay your mortage on time, and then it finished... off the rails.

To be fair they're really getting into the details but, I'd prefer an abridged version... in 2012 when they're done.

Jack is nothing if not thorough. I find downloading the show and jumping ahead through the parts I'm not interested in to be the best way. I think now that they have a machine shop that can actually make their motor adapter and coupler they should be making some good progress.

Just read through some of the comments on the Mini Clubman conversion article (last link from dpeilow). Jack commented (guy doing the conversion) and said they are not going to do regen the way Tesla and BMW did it. He said they are going to connect it to the brake pedal. He seems to be under the impression that the brake lights do not turn on when regen kicks in on the Tesla and Mini E. From what I know the Tesla does activate the brake lights when regen is activated and I'd only be guessing for the Mini E, but I would guess it does also for safety reasons.

It's cool to see him doing this, but from his first comment on the article there is just something that I don't like about the way it portrays him. I don't know if it is his attitude (the way he makes it seem like the way Tesla and BMW did the regen is the wrong way and should have never been done like that ) or what, I can't really put my finger on it.

MPT, how come you just got a Mini E?

-Shark2k

It's cool to see him doing this, but from his first comment on the article there is just something that I don't like about the way it portrays him.
Jack comes on strong and tells it the way he sees it. I don't always agree with him but most of the time he's right on the money. He spends a lot of his time and money testing and destroying batteries so the rest of us DIY types don't have to.