Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric MINI revealed -- The Mini E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shark2K - Both the Tesla and the MINI E illuminate the brake lamps on firm regen.

From what I can tell Jack preferred the option to coast; it’s the most efficient way to use the spare energy you have in the car when it’s moving. I rather think that he’s missing a big part of the electric driving experience though; the regen turns driving into a one-foot operation; especially on the MINI which has the greatest amount of regen. In my daily driving where I’m asked to speed up and slowdown in traffic more than being allowed to coast along I’d not be very successful at using that coasting energy to the full.

Why get a MINI E? Because I have a Tesla.

I guilted my wife into leaving her gas barge at home and driving an ‘05 Honda Insight. You can only pull that trick for a while so when the fun of playing the MPG game on the dashboard faded I had to think of something and having never considered the MINI before the stars aligned and here we are grinning from ear-to-ear.

Electric Lord Peter Mandelson plugs away at becoming PM - Times Online

In_Gear_675739a.jpg

Sleek, silent and with a surpising amount of power. They say you can tell a lot about a man by the car he drives and last week Lord Mandelson came close to proving the theory when he took delivery of an electric Mini.

Shark2K - Both the Tesla and the MINI E illuminate the brake lamps on firm regen.

From what I can tell Jack preferred the option to coast; it’s the most efficient way to use the spare energy you have in the car when it’s moving. I rather think that he’s missing a big part of the electric driving experience though; the regen turns driving into a one-foot operation; especially on the MINI which has the greatest amount of regen. In my daily driving where I’m asked to speed up and slowdown in traffic more than being allowed to coast along I’d not be very successful at using that coasting energy to the full.

The coast thing might surprise you. But I'm aware the regen thing might surprise me.

I was never quite confused regarding the tail lights. I was looking to use them as the enable signal, and I was fully aware they come on on both Tesla and Mini when regen is activated.

That said, I've no religion when it comes to regen. I've heard from a number of people on the Mini side who were originally a little alarmed, but quickly adjusted and they are emphatic that they like it now, although attracted to the notion of it being adjustable. They seem to indicate there is a sweet spot in the pedal where you're not really supplying current, but it isn't regening either and you can coast in this fashion. Is this similar on the Tesla?

We're just now installing the controller on the Mini-Me. My current thinking is to have regen triggered both by accelerator and brake. But we're probably going to have TWO adjustment pots, with both wipers connected to the controller via a relay. In this way, normally open, the accelerator pot can be adjusted for regen with the accelerator. On brake switch, relay closes, deselects acclerator wiper and connects brake pot wiper. In this way, you could have much more aggressive regen on the brake, and they'd be separately adjustable.

This is part of the magic of converting your own, you can screw it up three times and still get it how you want it in the end - without anyone's permission.

In response to keeping the backseat, cargo area on the Clubman, perhaps. I would calculate about a 19kw pack and a 55 mile range if we had left the rear seats and cargo area intact. With our drawer, we keep the cargo area, and have some storage on top of the drawer box that's actually pretty generous. I'll be able to haul 8 foot 2x4 lumber from Loewes anyway.

But I'm at the grandpa stage and two seats is usually one two many and almost never one short. And with the drawer box, I've got a shot at least at a 150 mile range with the heat and air conditioning off. There would be a sick satisfaction to being able to drive the 150 miles BMW originally claimed for the Mini-E.

I suppose after reading through this forum, I should apologize for the overlong, overboring, and overdetailed nature of our amateurish video productions. But I have to say that most of our viewers aren't just people who think electric cars are cool, or even drive one. They're by and large either building one or trying to learn to build one. Perhaps for someone such as yourself, you might find "Mythbusters" or "How It's Made" at a more entertaining pace and more appropriate to your intellectual requirements. I know "American Idol" is also very popular and indeed, Susan Boyle had me in tears...of a sorts...

We're sort of aiming at a new kind of "video magazine" and a technical magazine at that, with technical information along with some real world grunting and groaning. I repeat a lot of bolt sizes and measurements and things we had to look up, and you don't have to. In case your wondering, it's an M8 1.25 thread 40 mm. Similarly I've not found a way to make DigiKey part numbers particularly entertaining. But its true we might be overdoing it.....

In any event, if you find that BMW won't give you PERMISSION to keep YOUR car, (the one you're paying $900 a month for), you might consider building your own. It's actually a lot of fun. You learn a great deal in the process. And you do indeed gain an appreciation for Toyoto's brake and accelerator problems, what a State of Charge indicator really tells you and why it is hard to do accurately, and the ins and outs of several available regen strategies.

If I already knew all the answers, or if they had all been worked out and were easily and readily available, I would have NO interest in this area at all. And most days on the Internet, I feel like I'm the ONLY one out there who is NOT an expert. But I am a pretty good student... and in a past career, developed a pretty finely tuned bullshit detector alarm/management system....and I know how to use it...

So when you tire of getting permission to drive your car, please do at least consider joining us on the dark side...at EVTV.me

Warmest Regards;

Jack Rickard
Electric 1957 Porsche 356 Speedster EV

Thanks for your contributions to EVs, Jack ! Keep it up !

They seem to indicate there is a sweet spot in the pedal where you're not really supplying current, but it isn't regening either and you can coast in this fashion. Is this similar on the Tesla?

Yes.

We're just now installing the controller on the Mini-Me.
Great Name! :biggrin:

This is part of the magic of converting your own, you can screw it up three times and still get it how you want it in the end - without anyone's permission.
:biggrin:

For more feelings about regen, simplicity of design, etc ... also take a look at Prius Braking&Regen

Found a link to this blog by Richard Hammond too: Mini E electric model is great fun but I'm still not converted - Cars and Motorbikes - Mirror.co.uk

This was funny:

the rear seats are missing and in their place is a large carpet-covered hump with plastic bits on it. Underneath here live the 5,088 lithium-ion batteries. That's enough to keep an iPhone working for at least two days.

This less so:

I'm sticking by what I've been saying for ages. With the VW Polo Econetic doing more than 60mpg and models on the way that'll do more than 80mpg, I can't see the need for electric cars.

However, when the boffins have improved batteries so that you'll be able to go 250 miles or more I might think again. What the Mini E has shown me is that electric cars don't have to be boring or slow.

Weren't around for the Top Gear Tesla test then, eh Richard?

Not sure if it has been linked before:

Mini-E #250

I like the lic plate: E-F-OPEC

Tom is a good guy. I met him at the 2nd East Coast meet up they had. He owns a restaurant in Montclair and he just got solar panels on his house (talks about it on his blog). He's put around 27,000 miles on it and told me he's used about 5,000 kWh to charge the car. He is renewing for the second year and he really loves the car.

-Shark2k