Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric MINI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Spidy

Feb 7, 2015
EU
MINI Electric | New Cars | MINI UK

THE MINI ELECTRIC CONCEPT.

Mini-E-Concept-IAA-2017--articleDetail-57c3d3b6-1117328.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Olds442 and Tiger
Looks like compacted snow/ice to me. And I should know. ;)
Excellent! It kind of looked like a it might have been a photoshop work, but why would one want to fake a picture like that?

I do hope the car will actually get to market and be a success, in spite of the looks of the front. If I recall, they had a proto running many years ago, basically filling the back seat with batteries. Not very practical in that form, but from what I read, it did generate a lot of interest among Mini lovers.

I've driven a MINI since 2004 (Cooper S, Clubman JCW and then Countryman JCW), and MINI could not get an all-electric car to market fast enough to convince me to hold off on putting a reservation in for a Model 3. Hope it is a success for MINI to allow more options in the EV arena! I would not expect much overlap in the market between the MS and MINI, maybe more so with the Model 3.

From this morning's briefing by The Economist:

Dreaming of electric leaps: BMW’s travails

Sixty years after the first version puttered onto British roads an electric version of the Mini will this week silently swish out of the firm’s Oxford factory. The launch of a battery-powered Mini is an important step for BMW, the brand’s owner since 2000. The German firm’s reputation for innovation, important for the image of a luxury carmaker, has eroded in recent years. It has lost an early lead to Audi and Mercedes, its main competitors, in the race to electrify its cars. And its efforts at “mobility services” (like car-sharing) and autonomous driving are hardly distinctive. Moreover, while still hugely profitable, its financial performance has stuttered of late, for which Harald Krüger, the firm’s boss for the past four years, has paid the price. He will not get the second five-year stint that is customary for BMW’s leaders. As the electric Mini glides on to the road he will be travelling out the door.
Funny how they managed to write all that without mentioning Tesla once o_O

First all electric Mini officially rolling off the production line today.

I owned several original Mini's and spent much of my early childhood being transported in one. Loads of fond memories and an iconic car.

I never warmed to the new version, but I wish them well and hope it is a big success. I am sure it will bring more zero emission at tailpipe vehicles to the road.

Not for me (never been a big fan of the new Mini), but this will probably find its fans. Not enough range for road trips, but a stylish urban EV.

As usual US publications forget to take 20% VAT into account when comparing prices to other cars. Here some base prices in Germany (incl. VAT) for comparison:

- Mini Electric: 32,500 EUR
- Nissan Leaf (44 kWh): 36,800 EUR
- Model 3 SR+: 44,500 EUR

Don't know about leaf pricing, but here in UK, MINI starts £24,400 on the road and base Model 3, SR+ starts iirc £38,850 I think on the road.

Both of these include a £3,500 UK government grant. The Tesla will also cost £300 or so per annum to tax for the first 5 years.

They aren't competing in the same arena, so comparison is mute point. I think MINI will do well at that price but it is a commuter/town car - average UK commute is about 10 miles.. Average UK car price is around £33k.

Owned a beater RHD Mini while in the USAF in the UK (many, many) years ago. It was scary being so small and lorries being so large. Bought a 2003 Mini Cooper when they started importing them and loved it. Hope they do a good job with an E version. I'll test drive it but never giving up my Tesla.

BMW unveils all-electric Mini Cooper SE with 168-mile range - Electrek

EPA range is likely to be less than 150 miles.

0-60mph in 7.3 seconds.

Max charge rate is 50kW at a CCS charger, which are uncommon in America.

Quote from the Electrek article: “is this car from 2016? Let’s compare it to the similarly sized Chevy Bolt which was released in 2016. The 2016 Bolt has 50% more range, is way quicker/more HP, 4 doors and even charges faster at 54kW on CCS. This vehicle doesn’t match up very well with a 4 year old car. How is it going to compete with vehicles released since then?”

The price in Germany “starts” (before options) at US$36,400.

The base Model 3 SR has much more range, is much quicker, charges over twice as fast, and has more interior room and cargo capacity, for basically the same price. Plus it has TACC and Auto Steer; I suspect the base Mini SE does not include comparable features.

Sadly, the Mini SE is unlikely to do well in the marketplace. BMW continues to fall behind in the EV market, while Tesla forges ahead.

Note: I have owned two 5-speed Cooper S; a 2006 and a 2011. Really fun cars.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
I've driven a MINI since 2004 (Cooper S, Clubman JCW and then Countryman JCW), and MINI could not get an all-electric car to market fast enough to convince me to hold off on putting a reservation in for a Model 3. Hope it is a success for MINI to allow more options in the EV arena! I would not expect much overlap in the market between the MS and MINI, maybe more so with the Model 3.

Would you be excited by a car with half the range of an SR+, but slower?

Estimated EPA range 120 - 130 miles for US$42.5K

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne