Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Motor Efficiency vs. Increased Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been driving a Tesla model S for the past 8 years (I've had my current high-performance P85 model for 6 years). There is something that I have yet to understand, regarding range efficiency vs. speed. I have always thought (from my limited understanding of electric motor efficiency), that there is a direct, linear, correlation between speed and energy consumption (the higher the speed, the higher the consumption per unit of time, in a linear fashion). Does driving 30 miles at 75 mph really use up more energy than driving the same distance at 55 mph?

Am I wrong on the concept of that linear relationship? The reason for my post is when the range to the next supercharger becomes a concern, you get the warning "Decrease speed to make it to your destination". Reducing speed will obviously reduce consumption, but it will also take you longer to get there. So if you need 10 KWHr to drive 30 miles at 55 mph, does that mean you will use more KWHr if you are driving at 75 mph? Would consumption be the same only in a vacuum (theoretically), and is it wind resistance that reduces the range at higher speeds? Or is there another factor that would reduce efficiency at higher speeds?

This has always been a concern for me, as I drive a lot on road trips, and have always wondered if lower speeds equate to better range. I realize this is a question more related to the efficiency of electric motors, and would appreciate any input from those in the know, either from personal experience or from an electric engineering angle. And what are the opinions as to the optimal speed to drive an EV in order to get maximal efficiency (an therefore optimal range)?

By definition, the energy used is force times the distance. If the distance is the same, the greater the force on the car the more energy it takes to cover that same distance.

This is the equation that Tesla supplies to the EPA for the force on the Model 3 LR as a function of speed:
Pounds = 42.30 ‐ 0.0212 * mph + 0.01691 * mph * mph.

So at 55 mph the force is 92.3 pounds and at 75 mph it is 135.8 pounds. The ratio 135.8 divided by 92.3, or 1.47, means it will take 47 percent more energy to cover the distance at 75 mph.

As others have said, this is because the force goes up with the speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
Thank you all for these helpful answers. I also came upon this great Youtube video that I think every single Tesla (and EV for that matter) driver should be aware of. This was the most helpful 11 min video I have watched so far on the subject. It talks about wheel size, but also speed implication, on an EV range.

We have slowed down plenty of time on road trips. Usually just slowing from 73 MPH to 70 MPH is enough to stop the charge at destination estimate from falling and actually start climbing instead. We had to seriously slow during a serious rainstorm once, more than we normally would have for safety. One of our longest drives between charges happened in L.A. traffic, which while slow did manage to seriously improve our efficiency.

In addition to wind drag, electrical losses increase as the square of the current. So using more power is less efficient. Those old "jackrabbit starts" will still wreck your efficiency, and it adds to the inefficiency of wind drag.