Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric mowers, tractors and other lawn and farm equipment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhzmark

Jul 21, 2013
Does anyone have experience or information on battery electric riding mowers, tractors, gators and even chainsaws and leaf blowers and other traditionally ICE lawn and farm equipment?

It's hard to find good information on products that work well.

thanks.

Reactions: UncaNed
I currently have Ego Power’s Lawn Mower, Leaf Blower, Trimmer, and Snow Blower. Surprisingly good torque, and reasonable battery life for all applications.

Only downside on the mower is it’s mulching capability, doesn’t quite handle leaves like an ICE model. Snowblower is single stage, and doesn’t quite handle the end of driveway pile, but is great for reducing overall workload.

I also have a couple of Ego products: their non-riding lawnmower and a snow blower. I've had the former for three or four years and the latter since December. Both work quite well, although the battery on the lawnmower has degraded a bit. It still works, but it doesn't last as long as it once did. When I first got it, I didn't know much about maintaining lithium ion batteries, and so I unwittingly abused it pretty badly. The lawnmower and snow blower use the same size batteries (one in the lawnmower, two in the snow blower), so if/when the lawnmower's battery degrades past the point of usability, I'll be able to use the snow blower batteries in the lawnmower.

Consumer Reports has ratings of lawn equipment, including electric variants of most categories for which electric versions are available. Ego tends to do well, but they aren't the only highly-rated electric brand.

For gators or other utility ATV type things these are the only ones I could find:

Gator™ Turf Utility Vehicles | TE 4x2 Electric Utility Vehicle | John Deere US

te4x2_electric_utility_vehicle_studio_522464_large_560e7e5c60996b015de3c214cec499fe70a83fd8.jpg

And this wacky thing: https://www.ezraider.com/gallery

c8ff46_802bf929175845bd9834b62b40ae3c5b~mv2.webp

Reactions: Ulmo
Another pleased Ego mower owner. Totally superior to gas for city/suburban sized yards. I did not get the self propelled and I am happy with that. The mower is a lot lighter than an ICE mower so self propelled is just fine for me. You can get an inverter for their packs too, its only 150w I believe, but still a cool product.

Reactions: EinSV
Ego lawn edger with 56v monster battery here, Black and Decker 48v leaf blower and shrub trimmer.
Black and Decker chainsaw on a pole, having seen ER injuries I am a bit too careful.

Good old Kubota G2460G 3-cylinder garden tractor is reaching 20 years and has no signs of wanting to die,
mows on 60" deck and pushes snow like a champ with Mercedes Smart self-tensioning snowchains. My son
will inherit it unless ICE get banned by law.

If I were in it for a new tractor this is what I would get:

I’ve had Ryobi 40 volt products for years and highly recommend them.

I have a push mower, chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and a weed whacker (string trimmer). The weed whacker has interchangeable attachments and I have an extension and a pole saw for it.

They all use the same batteries and charger.

Oregon electric chainsaw excellent esp when you are up a ladder or tree. has old style barracuda chain that really cuts efficiently and fast. Lowes 80 volt push mower seems to work fine but here in the rain forest I don't have thick enough grass to provide a challenge. Anyway I stole the 80v motor off it for use on a small 2-stroke outboard boat motor.
--

Reactions: Ulmo