Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am seeking information as to how the EPB system works exactly in these cars.

I would like to retrofit these calipers onto another vehicle, which, due to poor design properties have high failure ratings and an aftermarket supply that is even worse. I plan to use these in lieu of the oem hydraulic system, similar to the setup in The Model S.

Essentially, I need to know how the system works and/or need wiring diagrams. I noticed they have a 4 pin connector, which I would hope is as simple as: Power, Ground, and Motor Polarities.. But I need confirmation of this and I also need to know what voltage the system runs off of.

I am about to purchase calipers, but would like to get some more information on the subject before I pull the trigger and possibly waste my time/money.

If more elaboration is needed, please let me know.

If you have anything to say, add, or ask.. Please do!

Thanks!

Hello,

I am seeking information as to how the EPB system works exactly in these cars.

I would like to retrofit these calipers onto another vehicle, which, due to poor design properties have high failure ratings and an aftermarket supply that is even worse. I plan to use these in lieu of the oem hydraulic system, similar to the setup in The Model S.

Essentially, I need to know how the system works and/or need wiring diagrams. I noticed they have a 4 pin connector, which I would hope is as simple as: Power, Ground, and Motor Polarities.. But I need confirmation of this and I also need to know what voltage the system runs off of.

I am about to purchase calipers, but would like to get some more information on the subject before I pull the trigger and possibly waste my time/money.

If more elaboration is needed, please let me know.

If you have anything to say, add, or ask.. Please do!

Thanks!
Hello I too have an OEM application for the Tesla Electric parking brake, I did buy a set of model S electric parking brakes on ebay, I ohmed the connector pins and pins 1 and 4 are motor. I connected to a 12V battery and confirmed in and out of the clamping actuator. The inside pins 2 and 3 must be a sensor, resistance reading is 450K my guess is possibly a current sensor or hall sensor.. not sure. My guess is the electronics that control this motor has current sensing and by monitoring the current the clamp force can be set.

Hello I too have an OEM application for the Tesla Electric parking brake, I did buy a set of model S electric parking brakes on ebay, I ohmed the connector pins and pins 1 and 4 are motor. I connected to a 12V battery and confirmed in and out of the clamping actuator. The inside pins 2 and 3 must be a sensor, resistance reading is 450K my guess is possibly a current sensor or hall sensor.. not sure. My guess is the electronics that control this motor has current sensing and by monitoring the current the clamp force can be set. Maybe some technical assistance out there anybody???

It's a parking brake intended to keep a car from rolling after it has stopped. I doubt that you can apply fine control for stopping a vehicle and whether it would be safe to replace an hydraulic braking system. Hydraulic systems are robust and have dual braking capability if there is a failure to one pair of wheels.

Perhaps for a big trailer or a ATV/Go Kart an electric disk brake would work and be legal as long as you are on private property.

Whatever you decide get it safety checked before going out on public roads. Measuring some stopping distances in a controlled location might also reveal limits of your design.

You should be able to find upgrade kits for hydraulic callipers. I have seen them used when people increase the size of the rotors. Some Brembos would be nice.

It's a parking brake intended to keep a car from rolling after it has stopped. I doubt that you can apply fine control for stopping a vehicle and whether it would be safe to replace an hydraulic braking system. Hydraulic systems are robust and have dual braking capability if there is a failure to one pair of wheels.

Perhaps for a big trailer or a ATV/Go Kart an electric disk brake would work and be legal as long as you are on private property.

Whatever you decide get it safety checked before going out on public roads. Measuring some stopping distances in a controlled location might also reveal limits of your design.

You should be able to find upgrade kits for hydraulic callipers. I have seen them used when people increase the size of the rotors. Some Brembos would be nice.
Hi Don,
My application is not for a vehicle, it will be used as a secondary redundant brake on a cable spool, I was just seeking electrical connection information. Thank you for the safety concern, I agree I would not use this brake as a customized stopping means on a vehicle that is driven on public roads without proper safety check and approval by some authority.

From the Tesla Service Manual wiring diagrams ... :cool:

upload_2018-6-29_7-25-42.png

upload_2018-6-29_7-28-30.png