Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Pickup Roundup: Musk Says Tesla Truck 'Not Like Anything Else'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see how the light strip would be an effective forward projecting headlamp. Even Rivian, with a much thicker light strip, still has separate projection headlamp assemblies. The teaser doesn't include anything of the sort.

I'd suggest it's the other way around. At least that's been my experience in the trucking industry. There are far more weight constrained heavy trucks than there are volume constrained. I do believe the number of volume constrained heavy trucks have a larger percentage than they did in the past.

Here's some load factor data for Europe.
Load factors for freight transport

That front makes a very good case for what Elon hinted in the past- "amphibian" truck. I suspect that on features alone, the truck will win vast majority of truck users. The look will be secondary issue.

That slope reminds me on this

tatra_780r59_platform.jpg

Funny, Elon thinks this would be too futuristic looking. I think to a sizeable segment it will be just right.

If this take off, even at 4K in sales a month, the heartache it will cause GM,Ford and FCA? Do they throw their conservative styling up to this point out the window?
I think this will be just right for a lot of folks too. Whether or not they are the folks with money remains to be seen. This style won't work for ICE trucks unless the increase the cab height to fit over the engine. Meaning that you wouldn't be able to drive this in any low bridge situations. Whatever the market for the Tesla pickup is, it would be 90% less for an ICE equivalent.

I think this will be just right for a lot of folks too. Whether or not they are the folks with money remains to be seen. This style won't work for ICE trucks unless the increase the cab height to fit over the engine. Meaning that you wouldn't be able to drive this in any low bridge situations. Whatever the market for the Tesla pickup is, it would be 90% less for an ICE equivalent.

No doubt, but it will scare the Big 3 automakers. The Big 3 will perceive the Tesla truck siphoning off from the HD truck clientele, where the biggest profits are. They will wonder if the Tesla PU sales success is do to design or powertrain. Oh to be a fly on the wall in those product planning meetings.

No doubt, but it will scare the Big 3 automakers. The Big 3 will perceive the Tesla truck siphoning off from the HD truck clientele, where the biggest profits are. They will wonder if the Tesla PU sales success is do to design or powertrain. Oh to be a fly on the wall in those product planning meetings.

The box will have to be the standard size. Same with the cab in relation to the box. In the HD segment everything from slide in campers to UTV trays are based on those dimensions. Ford alone sells 1 million F series a year and they are working on the electric version.
If you want to sell trucks to guys that buy trucks, build a truck.
Otherwise sell a trickle of them every year.

The box will have to be the standard size. Same with the cab in relation to the box. In the HD segment everything from slide in campers to UTV trays are based on those dimensions. Ford alone sells 1 million F series a year and they are working on the electric version.
If you want to sell trucks to guys that buy trucks, build a truck.
Otherwise sell a trickle of them every year.
Elon has said more than once that this won't appeal to the masses, but he wants to make it anyway.

8ua2TRP.png

Uh, guys, I know this thing isn’t really aimed at the work truck market.

This fluffy (barely) 1/2 ton, weirdmobile, very quick 0-60, party trick pickup will sell like hot cakes to the tech crowd that makes a run down to their local Home Depot on a Saturday morning to pick up (5) bags of mulch or to transport grandmas favorite rocking chair. No doubt Team Tesla will seriously dent F-150 sales as the M3 is currently doing to the 3-series and many others.

I am having such a hard time sleeping with anticipation after viewing these intriguing teaser shots, NOTT!
I would enjoy adding a 3rd Tesla for the garage, but it clearly is not in the cards with this futuristic incoming 3+ year production hell, transport hell, delivery hell delayed weird mobile.
last weekend I picked up 2 scoops of mulch
this weekend I'm picking up 30 4x4x10s
That is what a truck is for. Don't overthink it. If Ford can give me an F150 in 5 yrs with 500mi of battery range, I'm buying that.
Cmon Tesla, don't screw this up! Don't be like Apple and force things people don't want.

Reactions: ricohman
last weekend I picked up 2 scoops of mulch
this weekend I'm picking up 30 4x4x10s
That is what a truck is for. Don't overthink it. If Ford can give me an F150 in 5 yrs with 500mi of battery range, I'm buying that.
Cmon Tesla, don't screw this up! Don't be like Apple and force things people don't want.
I totally agree with everything you said, do over think this Tesla.

Reactions: ricohman
Elon has said more than once that this won't appeal to the masses, but he wants to make it anyway.

This /\ /\ should bode really well (the shorts) for TSLA sp. Waste design engineering man-hours and vendor sourcing costs on a weidmobile that nobody wants. It’s not as if Tesla has a) time to waste on a re-design and re-tool, and b) has truck loads of cash to burn because of a yet another costly nonsense strategy or tweet.

Last edited:
This /\ /\ should bode really well (the shorts) for TSLA sp. Waste design engineering man-hours and vendor sourcing costs on a weidmobile that nobody wants. It’s not as if Tesla has a) time to waste on a re-design and re-tool, and b) has truck loads of cash to burn because of a yet another costly nonsense strategy or tweet.
except if it's a high margin specialty vehicle, then it would be a small profit center to help them build a regular truck that he said they may build later. Personally, I'm excited for the pickup, and I'm not a truck person. I will buy it if it's insanely futuristic. If not, I'll pass.