Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Pickup Roundup: Musk Says Tesla Truck 'Not Like Anything Else'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the truck meets the demands of having good range, towing power, tough build, comfortable (and quick!) ride and can seat 4 comfortably, I don't really care what it looks like (futuristic or "normal"). The engineers at Tesla have not disappointed in their designs so far, I'm betting that they won't start now.

Reactions: Jazz3D and KJD
I think that this is going to be a bad idea if he chooses to release a pickup truck that's so radical in design and options, that only a handful of people will buy it. Release something a bit more conventional at first and then bring on the beast later.

I think that this is going to be a bad idea if he chooses to release a pickup truck that's so radical in design and options, that only a handful of people will buy it. Release something a bit more conventional at first and then bring on the beast later.
They are pretty much doing it the right way because they are building on an existing foundation to get profits. Once they get some profits they can make a different one. This is the same way they went about it before and it worked.

They are pretty much doing it the right way because they are building on an existing foundation to get profits. Once they get some profits they can make a different one. This is the same way they went about it before and it worked.
I suspect they want to start with a very capable truck with strong looks to get street cred before building lesser versions.

This unfortunately delays the mass market pick-ups but it does mean starting with high margin vehicles.

Reactions: jerry33
tesla-truck-render.jpg
tesla-truck-render 3.jpg

I really don't understand those "This is someone's drawing" stories. "Hey! Someone did a drawing! Let's write a story!" It's idiotic. As if there's any merit to the story whatsoever.
here here
reminds me of Pop mech/Pop science back in the day. The cover would always be an artists rendition of some new stealth plane or ship.

then you open it up and oh... here are real photos of that real plane/vehicle/device... WHY DIDNT YOU PUT THAT ON THE COVER??

I'm really looking forward to the Tesla truck. I hope they make it in the next few years. I'm not a typical truck person, I really don't "need" a truck but have always wanted one for outdoor activities but have never bought one because of the sucky gas mileage. With an electric truck I will worry about that much less. Should be interesting with Tesla, Rivian, and hopefully Ford and GM coming out with trucks.

Reactions: swengl
I'm really looking forward to the Tesla truck. I hope they make it in the next few years. I'm not a typical truck person, I really don't "need" a truck but have always wanted one for outdoor activities but have never bought one because of the sucky gas mileage. With an electric truck I will worry about that much less. Should be interesting with Tesla, Rivian, and hopefully Ford and GM coming out with trucks.
I like trucks and SUVs because I like to be elevated above the road. I am expecting the truck to be hitting the market 1-2 yrs after Model Y. I am thinking about the truck or Model Y as my next purchase

most truck owners roll their eyes at this poop. I certainly do. The proportions are ridiculous. The rear wheels are at the back bumper.... which by the way, if you are gonna
build a truck(Looking at you rivian) you're gonna need a back bumper to step on. The turning radius would be ridiculously wide. The mirrors (looking at you again Rivian) are
stupidly small. Actual truck owners need taller mirrors. How about some headroom? The seats in the 'concept' are a few inches from the ceiling. I guess that is nice if someone
wants to drop 100k on a truck to cruise to the mall and back. How big is that bed? 4 feet long and 18inches deep?
Make a ford raptor go 500 miles on a charge and you will sell millions of them...

I really hope it does resemble the semi. No hood, forward seating. Rivian looks like a truck. Looks like designers/management still cannot let go of the standards and norms while Tesla (hopefully) embraces and takes advantage of change.

Reactions: jerry33
I too have been using a 5x9 utility trailer instead of buying a truck. I pull this with my wife's Dodge Magnum SRT8, it works great. I don't think my Model 3 is setup for a hitch system like the Model S or X (i wish). My wife and I were already thinking of buying the Tesla Pickup to replace the Magnum but when we saw the picture we were very disappointed in the look of the pickup. That thing looks too weird, bummer!

eTrailer.com does now sell a hitch for a M3.

I want a modular eTruck.

Lumber rack that can be taken off or on. Shell that can be taken off or on. Extra seat that can be removed for cargo. Small, short truck but w/ hitch for towing when I need more capacity.

I currently use 2 single axle utility trailers: a long flat bed for lumber and sheet goods and things loaded with a fork lift like cement, and an aluminum enclosed utility trailer for when I need tools and supplies to be dry and safe. Much of the time I use neither trailer, but need the enclosed shell for safe storage of tools and equipment.

And the truck needs some clearance underneath it, with a rock plate to protect the batteries.

I don't care about self driving, nor about the other fancy features. I just want electric, clearance, towing, and mostly modularity.

Nota bene: Conventional trucks have a wide range of after market addons like shells, bed liners and lumber racks. So the TT (Tesla Truck) will have to also have these available.