Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Pickup Roundup: Musk Says Tesla Truck 'Not Like Anything Else'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bad Boy Tesla Truck.

tsm931.jpg

most truck owners roll their eyes at this poop. I certainly do. The proportions are ridiculous. The rear wheels are at the back bumper.... which by the way, if you are gonna
build a truck(Looking at you rivian) you're gonna need a back bumper to step on. The turning radius would be ridiculously wide. The mirrors (looking at you again Rivian) are
stupidly small. Actual truck owners need taller mirrors. How about some headroom? The seats in the 'concept' are a few inches from the ceiling. I guess that is nice if someone
wants to drop 100k on a truck to cruise to the mall and back
. How big is that bed? 4 feet long and 18inches deep?
Make a ford raptor go 500 miles on a charge and you will sell millions of them...
Most Truck owners buy them as fashion accessories, and that's exactly what most are used for.

Light trucks 1/2 ton I would think you are correct, not so sure about the majority of HD trucks as there are a lot of work trucks out there.
I'm not sure of the breakdown as I've only seen numbers for all pickups. It's something like only 10% ever tow and less than that ever go off road.

Of course the ability to do so often sells vehicles as people like bragging rights. One rumor that I heard was that the Tesla truck might have bed sides that fold down. I could see that being very useful.

It would be really cool to see a way to plug in a camera on the rear of a trailer and have it display on the Telsa screen. I've pulled a few large trailers and video would have been awesome.

Most Truck owners buy them as fashion accessories, and that's exactly what most are used for.
by far the most popular trim level of F150 is the XLT. 50% of F150 sales are XLT with the 302 package. It is by far the best bang for the buck. I like the luxury, I don't tow, but I abuse the snot out of the bed.

For you truck newbs...
Raptor-Limited 70k
Platinum-King Ranch 65k
Lariat 60k
XLT 50k
XL/STX 40k

by far the most popular trim level of F150 is the XLT. 50% of F150 sales are XLT with the 302 package. It is by far the best bang for the buck. I like the luxury, I don't tow, but I abuse the snot out of the bed.

For you truck newbs...
Raptor-Limited 70k
Platinum-King Ranch 65k
Lariat 60k
XLT 50k
XL/STX 40k
I'm definitely not somebody that is hostile towards trucks out of hand. There are plenty of people driving pick ups that have lower carbon footprints that others who drive a Prius. (assuming you are in the group that cares about that)

I'm excited for the electric pick ups to come out. I could definitely see picking one up in a few years after they start hitting the used market. It would be a local beater/Home Depot vehicle so range wouldn't even matter all that much.

I'm definitely not somebody that is hostile towards trucks out of hand. There are plenty of people driving pick ups that have lower carbon footprints that others who drive a Prius. (assuming you are in the group that cares about that)

I'm excited for the electric pick ups to come out. I could definitely see picking one up in a few years after they start hitting the used market. It would be a local beater/Home Depot vehicle so range wouldn't even matter all that much.

I'd like a lower footprint, can't do it at this time. If I can get an equally capable and affordable alternative that emits less, I'm all over it. For a lot of people, that alternative isn't going to work for them for years, or decades. I dislike seeing the 'death to oil, death to gas, death to etc' cheerleaders, because millions of people have no other option. How many households in the northeast heat their homes with oil? Solar may not be an option...so now what? I was told 'your house is not a good candidate for solar'. Hey honey, most of our electricity comes from fossil fuels, and we can't do solar, so this winter we're gonna live off our body heat.

Reactions: Eclectic
I'd like a lower footprint, can't do it at this time. If I can get an equally capable and affordable alternative that emits less, I'm all over it. For a lot of people, that alternative isn't going to work for them for years, or decades. I dislike seeing the 'death to oil, death to gas, death to etc' cheerleaders, because millions of people have no other option. How many households in the northeast heat their homes with oil? Solar may not be an option...so now what? I was told 'your house is not a good candidate for solar'. Hey honey, most of our electricity comes from fossil fuels, and we can't do solar, so this winter we're gonna live off our body heat.
We all do what we can. I don't believe in shaming people for these sorts of things. It's also worth noting that as consumers, we are just nibbling at the edges. Real change has to come from corporations and the government. Getting away from fossil fuels will be the standard long tail situation where we get to 80 or 90% reduction in a fairly short timeframe (20 years?) and then the trailing bits take decades longer.