Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Pickup Roundup: Musk Says Tesla's Cyberpunk Truck is Months Away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford's latest F-150 EV commercial is impressive both in its performance and the timing. Not to rain on Ford's parade but I wonder if that truck in the commercial was modified specially to perform the things it did, i.e., Is it geared similarly to what will be eventually sold?

Two comments:
1) Tesla's primary goal has always been to influence larger automakers in building electric vehicles.
2) Electric motors do not need gearing per se, because the torque of an electric motor is so strong. There is no reason why an electric motor can't pull a few tons of steel on steel (very low friction) and still drive 100 mph.

Which is part of why I can leave the Harley or the muscle car 'way behind me when the light turns green, and me only driving my old geezer four door sedan with the child seat in the back. And by old, I mean 90,000 miles. Without burning oil or other pollutants. And without needing quarterly oil changes and filters... or weekly fuel fill-ups "at the pump" rather than "full every morning" in my garage.

I wonder if Ford will install supercharging for their electric trucks, or if they will only be considered for local construction and delivery.

Considering upgrading and trading in my Model X. But this pickup probably isn’t coming out till 2021. Wish to be proven wrong.

What stopped me from upgrading this year was primarily the ridiculous trade in value. The only way I can see to not come out losing a bunch of money is to keep my car a few more years. After all, there aren't many data points on the battery life or longevity of the car.