Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric planes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edit: Gimli Glider added

Yes but what if they run errands? :smile:

Joking aside, I agree fully. Every flight planning includes distance, weather (wind+temp), condition of aircraft, to calculate the amount of fuel probably required for the distance. A safety margin is added on top. Another issue might be if there is no way of fueling up at the destination, extending the fuel plan to the next stop.
When in Canada, beware not to calculate your fuel plan in kg then get your plane filled that amount in lbs.

With electric plane, same parameters apply. In addition, total hours of sunshine become a parameter if the plane is equipped with solar cells.

Last edited:
This Beautiful Electric Plane Is Like an Airborne Tesla

original.jpg

Understandably, the Electro edition, which will rely solely on state-of-the-art electric batteries, has a considerably shorter range than the gas model. About 250 miles compared to 1,150 miles on fossil fuels. But charging it at the airport should be considerably cheaper than filling a fuel tank. And since most people will probably be leery about flying in an electric plane given the stories of electric cars randomly stopping, the Panthera comes equipped with a high-speed full airframe parachute system which will deliver it safetly back to Earth if there's a problem.

Besides a slick streamlined design, the inside of the Panthera includes generously sized touchscreen aviation instruments...

Besides a slick streamlined design, the inside of the Panthera includes generously sized touchscreen aviation instruments...

17"? I've only ever flown once and was too busy to go back and learn more to make a hobby of it, but wouldn't mind an ultra-light that I could take out on occasion

Yes, but capable airplanes have 6 to 8 hours of fuel on board or more depending on load or trip giving you lots of options if the weather or ???? changes at your destination. 250 miles of range is insufficient for any plane other than staying in the pattern. IFR (and arguably VFR flights) flights need to have sufficient range to get to their destination, then climb back up to altitude, get to an alternate airport, and still have 45 minutes of fuel remaining.

In either case, when I went for my first (and only) flying lesson, one thing we did was kill the engine. It was an attempt to show that planes "naturally want to glide"... That it did, though I was happy to be able to kick the engine back on before we got too close to terra firma. I suppose with some "gliding action" and a paracute, you SHOULD be OK, but that doesn't preclude any number of other things going wrong (damaged wing, no where to land etc).

Essentially, yes. Cut the engines and let it just coast in the air. The plane was naturally supported and it did glide. I don't know how long it would, but he said he'd done a landing in a field with no engine before (as part of an exercise).

gliding = "put the thing in neutral to coast"?

the form of the wing causes the wind that goes over it to go faster. because of this you get less air-pressure above it, so the wing is pushed upwards. The faster the plane, the more it's pushed upwards.
gliding, is just going forwards without using an engine
the better the gliding ratio, the further the plane goes without using it's engine (---> better fueleconomy) Gliding flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glijgetal.png