Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric planes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
This article is 6 months old but a TMC search didn’t show any posts about it.

This 32kW plane will fly twice as high as commercial jets on SunPower

A super lightweight 2-person solar-powered plane designed to go to 60,000 ft. Cabin is not pressurized, so pressure suits would be required.

I love it. Solar power can keep it aloft for 12 hours.

Here is the project website, English version SolarStratos – To the edge of space
Find post Future Electric Vehicles by Brando.
Thanks for reminding.

I've looked into it closely and even met the CEO. I was seated next to him at a conference by coincidence last year. Super nice guy but blissfully ignorant about the technical issues I raised to him about his aircraft. The scaled model that they flew gives them a false sense of confidence about their concept, as is typical for many startups.

The performance claims are based on an aluminum-air battery that is non rechargeable and costs about 4 times as much per mile than jet fuel. Both the aircraft concept and the battery are non-starters.

Pretty amazing how much traction they got in the media for the past couple of years.

@JRP3 the wingtip motors are extremely efficient when rotating opposite the wingtip vortices. But you cannot use these as primary propulsion because of engine out lateral control, as you point out. They only make sense in conjunction with one or more propellers closer inboard on the wing, like the Nasa X-57 Maxwell for example.

Looks like an interesting design. Hope they can make it work, but with the issues already pointed out, that may not happen.

Some back of the napkin calculations to see if their stated specs sounds reasonable:
  • 260 knots
  • 650 mile range (with IFR reserve)
  • 900 kWh battery
260 knots is 299 mph, call it 300 mph. That means the the stated range would require 2h10m to reach the intended destination. Per FAR 91.167, let's add 100 miles to get to an alternate airport (100 miles isn't called out directly, but it makes the math easy and if you're being realistic, you want your alternate to be a reasonable distance away from the primary). 100 miles works out to 20 minutes of flight time, then add another 45 minutes of flight time per the FAR. That means you have 3h15m of total flight time required.

Ignoring the extra power demands to climb to a 10,000' cruise altitude and the lower power demands in a descent (let's call those differences a wash), they would need to keep the average power power demands to below 277 kW. That's coming from 900 kWh / 3.25 hours. 277 kW is 371 hp. Is that what one would expect for power needs on a 14,000 pound (6,350 kg) aircraft cruising at 260 knots? I'm only familiar with much lighter (2-4 seat) aircraft power demands. Compared to those power needs, this seems really low to me. The higher aspect ratio wings of the Alice Commuter should lower the power demands compared to a more traditional 10 person (9 passengers) aircraft, but would it be enough?

For comparison, NASA's X-57 Maxwell is projected to fly at 150 knots using 96.2 kW of power when in cruise flight. The Alice Commuter is expected to fly 73% faster than the X-57 and use 188% more power.

I do these calculations for a living. The 650 mile range for a 14000 lb aircraft similar to a King Air requires at least 3200 kWh without reserves, at the shaft.

Obviously the 900 kWh battery claim shows that someone got his math wrong.

@lolachampcar the energy need is calculated by flying the mission with a 3DOF performance model of the King Air with the actual PT6 engine deck. During the stepwise integration (steps of every second to 1 minute depending on the segments) I am integrating the shaft horsepower by the time increment to get the energy requirement of each step.

Thus I am not using Jet A fuel efficiency, although I get that as a byproduct.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ggr