Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Porsche 914, $39k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carl W

2008, #311 thunder gray 1.5
Oct 18, 2016
laguna beach, ca
I have a 1973 Porsche 914 that's converted to 100% electric power. It even has carpool (clean air) stickers for driving in California HOV lanes. It has a dual AC motor, which is two AC motors on one shaft and one housing, so it looks like one motor but is actually two. It's the AC-35 x 2 made by HPEVS. 1000 amps at 144 volts, so technically 144kw. The motor drives the 5 speed transaxle. You can drive it in 3rd gear like an automatic (from zero to about 90 mph), or, for great acceleration, start out in 1st or 2nd. Cruise the freeway in 4th or 5th. I've never driven it over 90mph, but I'm confident it would go 120 or more.

I bought the car already converted several years ago, but then I had EV West convert it to the twin AC motors because the DC motor that was there when I bought it didn't have regen braking and needed regular brush changes. Now, it's got regen, is maintenance free and more fun. The regen is programmable and it is optimized for regular driving versus when the clutch is pressed versus when the brake is pressed. I've driven it almost 8000 miles on the AC motors.

I love this car, and it pains me to sell it, but I ended up buying a Tesla Roadster and I don't have room or budget for two great sports cars, so I'm selling it. It was used in an EV West video, link follows.

March 2015 Show

FYI, the original guy put well over $100k into the conversion, and then I've invested more in going to the AC motors. About $130k total. The transmission 2nd gear (synchro) was grinding, so I also just had the entire transaxle rebuilt. Shifts great now. Fun and dependable.

Here are a bunch of pictures I took recently:
https://1973porsche914ev.shutterfly.com

There are other converted 914's, but I've never seen or heard of one done this nicely. I even won 1st place at a Porsche Concours (Dana Point) for Special Interest. The real range is 100 to 160 miles, depending on how it's driven. Has almost 200 ft-lbs of torque, and if you combine this with 1st gear, it launches! However, most of the time I drive it gently. Has LiFePO4 (lithium) batteries that are in excellent shape with no measurable degradation. Leather interior. Currently located in Laguna Beach, Ca. 949-395-0343

I would love to find a spot in my garage for the 914. I had actually researched building a Factory 5 818C with an EV West dual motor kit. But, I have two other cars I have to sell 1st; a promise I made to my wife when I bought my current CPO Signature Model S P85. When I sell the other cars, if you still got it for sale, maybe we could talk.

I would love to find a spot in my garage for the 914. I had actually researched building a Factory 5 818C with an EV West dual motor kit. But, I have two other cars I have to sell 1st; a promise I made to my wife when I bought my current CPO Signature Model S P85. When I sell the other cars, if you still got it for sale, maybe we could talk.
You bet!