Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric powered sailboat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife has been getting into sailing and it seems like we might start a looking into creating a owner partnership with some friends and family for an affordable 30'-40' sailboat. Since I'm concerned about the emissions, maintenance, and weight of running a diesel motor, I thought it would be a good idea to strip out the existing system and replace it with an electric motor (with regen capabilities), inverter, and batteries.

I've seen a few legacy companies with electric retrofit kits, but I was wondering if it would be more beneficial (more power) to use a drive unit from a Tesla or other EV. I've seen low-miled motors from the SmartEV for as low as $800. Would there be any disadvantages to using an automotive EV motor such as increased corrosion?

As for batteries, traditionally marine batteries typically use deep-cycle lead-acid batteries that are joined in series or parallel connections. Is there a downside to using Li-ion battery modules from a Tesla, other EV, or NiMH battery from a hybrid car? I believe one Tesla battery module would be good for 5.2kWh (233Ah) @22.2V with a 58lb mass.

Ideally, the boat would sail under electric power through harbors/marinas, optional while traveling upwind to reduce the need for tacking/gybing, or to get maneuver to catch a current. Meanwhile, the boat would sail downwind by windpower alone while the propeller regenerates the batteries in conjunction with a corrosion-resistant solar array.

I'd love to get some input while I'm still in the planning phase.

Here are some random links and stories that I've been looking at lately:

Tesla Exec electrifies his sailboat:
Charged EVs | Tesla exec electrifies his sailboat with Torqeedo hybrid drive

Regenerative propulsion:
Regenerative Electric Propulsion - Call of the Sea

Sad story about CO death while boating:
Mom shares warning after son, 9, dies of carbon monoxide poisoning on lake trip