Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric RV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've mentioned many times that Daimler should use a Tesla powertrain to customize the Sprinter Van. The Sprinter is just the right size and weight, and Daimler already has a relationship with Tesla. Normally a Sprinter Van shell costs around $40K. A Sprinter EV 170kW shell might run about $120K, which would be a bargain if it could tap into the supercharger network. Then, you'd have to spend another $60K - $80K to do a custom interior, so it gets a little pricey. But in the RV world $200K is not much money, and the potential fuel savings is significant. RV parks might have a problem with you pulling 50A all night long for tomorrow's fuel.

If I were to build an EV RV camper, I might try to start with a Proterra bus shell. It's a little smaller than a city bus, somewhat aero, and relatively light since has a composite shell. I definitely would prefer a Tesla drivetrain with 170 kWh double battery pack, though.

StarMetro_Proterra3-1111.jpg

If I were to build an EV RV camper, I might try to start with a Proterra bus shell. It's a little smaller than a city bus, somewhat aero, and relatively light since has a composite shell. I definitely would prefer a Tesla drivetrain with 170 kWh double battery pack, though.

My guess if you just double the Tesla 85kwh pack and you decide to take that bus on the highway, you may only get 80 miles of range or less. I know there are some reports that say range is 155 miles on 60 kwh, but these tests are in cities with average speeds of under 20 mph. Highway speed where the aero drag of the bus comes into play greatly decreases range and would require a lot of energy to go any distance. The point of RVing is to get away and I know 80 miles wont even get me to my favorite lake that I like to vacation at.

I've mentioned many times that Daimler should use a Tesla powertrain to customize the Sprinter Van. The Sprinter is just the right size and weight, and Daimler already has a relationship with Tesla. Normally a Sprinter Van shell costs around $40K. A Sprinter EV 170kW shell might run about $120K, which would be a bargain if it could tap into the supercharger network. Then, you'd have to spend another $60K - $80K to do a custom interior, so it gets a little pricey. But in the RV world $200K is not much money, and the potential fuel savings is significant. RV parks might have a problem with you pulling 50A all night long for tomorrow's fuel.

Sounds sort of like when Tesla got the Lotus glider and turned it into the Roadster.
I recall reading somewhere that there were a lot of constraints because of using another manufacturer's (Lotus) chassis and basic body, and Tesla would not do that again.
Since MB just recently sold their shares of TSLA, that deal is probably not going to happen.
I DO think that if Elon where to develop an RV, it might evolve after the Pickup.
A larger size vehicle/van could be also be used by FedEx, UPS and the US mail delivery services.

One more point: I think the most you would be able to pull would be 40 Amps, as that is what is the limit my MS has been able to charge at.
Maybe they will change the firmware for the charging so it can charge at a higher rate.
I have charged at over 2 dozen RV parks, and they don't mind me using the 40 Amps.

I like the idea of an electric RV, but i keep having issues justifying the high price. Yes RVers get 6-12 mpg and it costs an arm and a leg to fill up, but most RVers' drive their rigs once a month at most. In MN typically RV's stay in storage all winter and get used 5 or 6 times throughout the summer. Those that use their RV all the time might drive it to a campsite and leave it there most of the summer. So if you need 200 miles of range that is a lot of power that you may only cycle a hand full of times in a given year. With a Tesla the average seems to be to cycle the pack every week or so making a lot more use out of the investment.

Now the battery has a lot more benefits when you pull up to your site but every time i have camped there are always 30 and 50 amp hookups. Why would I want to use my battery when the site already supplies that for a nominal fee. Yes there are situations where the electric hookup are not always available but in those rare cases a small genset is a much much cheaper option.
|

But that campsite 50 amp hookup would power your RV and recharge your traction motor battery. And a fully charged traction motor battery could power the RV while boondocking without firing up the generator OR that generator could power the RV and recharge the traction battery running at optimal RPM and reducing inefficiency.

Any bites on this idea? I've been dreaming up a gutted Craigslist RV with a few PowerWalls stuck under the floorboards. But having a Calss C built by Tesla with an integrated chassis would be the most efficient I think. Who's got an in with Elon?

It's more likely now that Semi is more real, but honestly, I don't want tesla to build an RV--at least not yet. It's too niche a market. They can work on their passenger vehicles (and a transit type van) for many years to come.

That said, I'm all for a third party conversion of Semi (or a transit van) into an RV.

Why not work on a Solar powered or al least a solar assisted electric RV? There is enough room in the roof of a bus to install the solar panels, I mean we are 1n the 21st century, the technology exists, Tesla is coming out with a sensibly priced model, why not have an RV that makes sense, I would buy one if operating costs are not as prohibitive as today's diesel or gas RVs.

It's more likely now that Semi is more real, but honestly, I don't want tesla to build an RV--at least not yet. It's too niche a market. They can work on their passenger vehicles (and a transit type van) for many years to come.

That said, I'm all for a third party conversion of Semi (or a transit van) into an RV.

Tesla could partner with Spartan or Freightliner, to build a chassis that could be finished by an RV company. It would be "Powered by Tesla" instead of "Powered by Cummins". It would be a very small investment of Tesla resources to make that happen, and could be done mostly from Tesla's already developed parts

Why not work on a Solar powered or al least a solar assisted electric RV? There is enough room in the roof of a bus to install the solar panels, I mean we are 1n the 21st century, the technology exists, Tesla is coming out with a sensibly priced model, why not have an RV that makes sense, I would buy one if operating costs are not as prohibitive as today's diesel or gas RVs.

I would pretty much assume solar would be part of the deal. The roof could easily support about 10 panels. More advanced would be panels that would follow the sun when the vehicle is stationary, but pull in tight to the roof when the vehicle is in motion.

A Telsa drivetrain and supporting battery packs might add $40k as a replacement to a Cummins 450HP diesel and Allison transmission. When you are talking about a rig that costs over $400k and sucks down diesel at a rate of 8 mpg, it would pay for itself easily.

A lot of people don't like towing trailers. Backing up with a trailer is always a real pain. My parents considered a trailer when buying their first RV and quickly gave up on that concept. And as for the truck, if the RV would have to have a 200kWh battery pack to go 400 miles, then a truck towing an equivalent trailer 400 miles would likewise have to have a 200kWh pack - that would be one big pickup. ;) Towing by pickup doesn't decrease the total amount of energy needed - it actually increases it, as the aero isn't as good as with a fully integrated solution.

I actually don't think it's that crazy of an idea, an electric RV. Namely, because when we're talking about "in a few years", we're dealing with battery prices a few years out. Tesla's already under $200/kWh, and they expect to be around $100/kWh a few years from now. So we're not talking some huge expense vs. the cost of an RV. RVs aren't performance vehicles, so even a Model 3 powertrain would be sufficient. Two of them for 4WD would be awesome; it's much easier to add 4WD on an EV, after all. You're getting rid of a rather hefty, expensive petrol or diesel engine and ~100kg of lead-acid batteries. Model Y's architecture will be getting rid of the 12 volt architecture, so you just need a 120V or 220V inverter for standard AC appliances.

And as for supercharging, Tesla is already planning to upgrade that. Supercharger V3 is at least 350kW. Which they need anyway for Semi.

My biggest concern is about the plan to charge at RV parks. Some RV parks aren't very good at maintaining their electric infrastructure, and there's no self-monitoring of RV outlets. That would have to change if electric RVs are to become widespread.

Last edited:
My biggest concern is about the plan to charge at RV parks. Some RV parks aren't very good at maintaining their electric infrastructure, and there's no self-monitoring of RV outlets. That would have to change if electric RVs are to become widespread.

I would think that this would have a cord reel with a NEMA 14-50 male plug on the end and an EVSE onboard. It would check the quality of the power and dial down the amperage if that is needed.

Additionally, I am thinking 4 or at least 3 100kW packs. It would be expensive, but you are replacing an expensive Cummins diesel and Allison transmission plus, as a percentage of the cost of a half million dollar rig, not unmanageable. Likely it would have 2 charge ports to connect to 2 Superchargers concurrently, unless the semi gets a whole new infrastructure, which could happen.

The more I think about this, the more I can picture a whole lifestyle built around this, even more than the current RV lifestyle. Little cost to move around. Little maintenance. If they design it for hard-wearing tires (rather than going all out on reducing battery requirements by going with some extreme LRR tires), people could stay on the road for ages. Solar roof because you have so much area, and why not? That'd be half a dozen or so kW when the sun is straight overhead on a clear day (more for an expanding RV / solar awning). A week or so parked in a desert environment and you're full for another drive.

Last edited:
I would think that this would have a cord reel with a NEMA 14-50 male plug on the end and an EVSE onboard. It would check the quality of the power and dial down the amperage if that is needed.

Additionally, I am thinking 4 or at least 3 100kW packs. It would be expensive, but you are replacing an expensive Cummins diesel and Allison transmission plus, as a percentage of the cost of a half million dollar rig, not unmanageable. Likely it would have 2 charge ports to connect to 2 Superchargers concurrently, unless the semi gets a whole new infrastructure, which could happen.
I just noticed this old thread, perhaps it's worth restarting now that Tesla SuperChargers will soon be 350 KW.

I am hoping my next RV to be an electric.

I figure since ICE RVs get about 1/3 the range of ICE cars, I figure an ERV will need three times the battery for an equal range of the E-cars today. That's still somewhat of a low range for an RV, so yeah, make it four times the battery KWH capacity.

No generator should be necessary and no need to charge while staying at an RV park with all those KWHs available while not using those KWH's for driving. Also no need for an inverter if they can do all this correctly. A DC to DC converter can be used for the 12 volt stuff, but some items would be nice if they can run direct from the RV's main batteries from the high voltage DC, such as to run the microwave and such. IOW, design some stuff just for the electric RV's.

So when I can I expect to be driving my new ERV? I think the demand for such is already there. Add me to the list.

-Don- Auburn, CA