Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Supersonic Plane, Tesla Motors, SpaceX or new Company.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
at 25:00
Elon is talking quite specific about a "Supersonic, Electric, vertical take of and landing plane" and that he has "an Idea for it".
The fact that he states that he cant focus on to many different things at once suggests that this project is not just some Idea, but on the ToDo list of Elon.
Note: Elon Musk in Iron Man 2 - YouTube I guess he had the freedom to pick his line here himself and of all things he mentions the Electric Jet.

So Im quite sure that its on his todo list. I guess that will become an option:
1. TM will require much less active visionary managing, Elon mentioned several times already that its just a matter of time until he steps back from his overactive role at TM.
2. The battery technology will need to catch up to the kWh/lb ratio that such a plane demands.

So given all that.
I would like to induce some speculation on how Elon would go about designing and manufacturing this.
Would that be an SpaceX project since its aviation or would that be a Tesla Motors project since its Electric Motors/Turbines with Batteries.
Will it maybe be a cooperation of both companies, the same way Tesla Motors works with SolarCity?
I personally think that this Jets will be build under the roof of TM.

The reason I post this wild speculations here is:
If we assume that there is a probability that this Jets will be build under the roof of TM, this should have an effect on the future PE ratio of TSLA and therefore should have an effect on todays price.
Its a long way to go. I would be surprised if Elon announces official plans to build that in the next 10 years. But would be fun to look back on this thread one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to induce some speculation on how Elon would go about designing and manufacturing this.
Would that be an SpaceX project since its aviation or would that be a Tesla Motors project since its Electric Motors/Turbines with Batteries.
Will it maybe be a cooperation of both companies, the same way Tesla Motors works with SolarCity?
I personally think that this Jets will be build under the roof of TM.

I actually asked this question to the SpaceX President, Gwynne Shotwell, during a talk she gave in San Diego. I asked her specifically if Elon were to want to build a supersonic vertical-takeoff-landing jet would it happen under SpaceX or Tesla or under an independent company.

She said it definitely would happen under a new company/startup by Elon if it happened.

I actually asked this question to the SpaceX President, Gwynne Shotwell, during a talk she gave in San Diego. I asked her specifically if Elon were to want to build a supersonic vertical-takeoff-landing jet would it happen under SpaceX or Tesla or under an independent company.

She said it definitely would happen under a new company/startup by Elon if it happened.

Interesting comment. It's yet too far away. But it will happen during the next decade.