Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric supply for charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect delivery of my LRY early next year. I am looking at wiring options for the Tesla wall charger in the garage. My main incoming breaker is 200 amps, however I do not have space in the panel for a 60 amp breaker. I have 2 sub panels, both supplied via 60 amp breakers. One panel has the space to install additional breakers. My question is - can I change the sub panel breaker in the main panel to 90 amps (I have AL type se style r type xhhw 600 3 cdrs 2 awg cable servicing this panel) and then install a 60 amp breaker in the sub panel for the charger?

It doesn't NEED to have a 60A breaker. The wall connector is a variable power device with different settings. It can use circuits from 15A up to 60A. So just check what you can fit, and if you can get a 40 or 50A circuit, then that's fine. The wall connector can be configured for that, and that's still a great charging speed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do not have space in the panel for a 60 amp breaker.
I assume you mean you do not have room for any 2-pole breaker, irrespective of amperage?
I have 2 sub panels, both supplied via 60 amp breakers. One panel has the space to install additional breakers. My question is - can I change the sub panel breaker in the main panel to 90 amps

You really need to get an electrician in to have a look, with a main panel and 2 sub panels you may be close to overloading your system as is. And as @Rocky_H noted, if you are load limited you do not have to install a 60-amp breaker,

Upvote 0
For all the other non-techy folks installing the Tesla wall charger. I have two in different residences. If the code has CAPITAL LETTERS, USE CAPITAL LETTERS. Two months of frustration with one charger while the other one initialized immediately.

Upvote 0