Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Utility has been overcharging me for quite some time - is it likely I can recover some of the lost $$?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tracked my fuel and electricity costs over the decades and can see the electricity increase after buying the Tesla and my gasoline savings... I've never saved quite as much as it seemed I should have. I assumed it was vampire losses during charging or my own miscalculations or perhaps I'm driving more.

Idiotically, I never ran the math before, but but when I looked and over the past year I've been paying ~22.4 cents/kWh for electricity (I know I looked when buying the Tesla and it ~11.5 cents/kwH when I purchased). I compared my bill with a coworker and he's paying 13-14 cents/kWh. I lLooked into it and I'm registered under AEP as a commercial customer and not residential. I pay a little less in generation, but about triple in distribution/transmission charges. So I've paid at least $1200 in extra electric bills the past year and likely more depending how long this has been going on.

Do you think the increased usage with the Telsa likely triggered AEP to switch? Just a random mistake on their end? What do you think the likelihood that I can retroactively get my $$ back?

i don’t know what AEP is, but can almost guarantee you’ll need to contact your electric provider to find out why you were switched from resident to commercial rates. If that was an accident, you might be able to get your money back. If that’s their policy, you’ll be out of luck.

I’ve never heard people saying that happened before due to increased usage. Unless your driving multiple thousands of miles each month, the added electricity usage is lost in the noise. Driving 1,000 miles a month would add $35-40 to a monthly bill at the 13 cents/kWh rate you quoted.

i don’t know what AEP is, but can almost guarantee you’ll need to contact your electric provider to find out why you were switched from resident to commercial rates. If that was an accident, you might be able to get your money back. If that’s their policy, you’ll be out of luck.

I’ve never heard people saying that happened before due to increased usage. Unless your driving multiple thousands of miles each month, the added electricity usage is lost in the noise. Driving 1,000 miles a month would add $35-40 to a monthly bill at the 13 cents/kWh rate you quoted.

Sorry, AEP = American Electric Power (the electric utility in my area). I've talked to them and they supposedly assigned someone to look into when/how I switched and report back to me in a week or two.

I'm driving ~1000 miles a month, or about 260 kWh. That should represent only a 20% or so increase in my monthly power draw.