Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric vehicle charging stations fees, membership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What part of this is unexpected? 340 would be your "rated range", right? Rated range is an average distance under ideal conditions. The cold weather in Ontario lately is NOT an ideal condition.

If you ask me, my rated range would be base on current weather conditions, and not some kind of summer rolling of the hill range, it will always be off, but not a lot.

For example when I got in the car at niagara falls yesterday it was ~-18C , so it should have adjusted somewhat correctly ( assuming min or average climate control temperature). This way I could plan accordingly, but now I realized I need to do all the calculation FOR car :)

There is nothing in Barrington... yet. At the moment there is a DCFC in Truro and in Halifax. Truro isn't working whilst the charger in Halifax may be too far away and it costs $10/hr

FYI cars can't feel windchill. The real temperature is the one that matters, windchills are an embellishment.

Actually, any object that is above ambient will have extra heat loss due to wind. This does definitely have an impact on how fast a parked car cools to ambient, and how much energy you need to expend to maintain temperature.

The “wind chill” temperature is a “feels like” temperature, but your body would never actually fall to that temperature; it would only ever reach ambient. No different from your car.

Thanks, this is really good advises, but I had to cancel my trip I drove about 800km and decided not to travel to Halifax as I planned. Very disappointed with battery estimator. While I was passing Toronto on 401, message keep coming up drive 85km/h if you want to make to your next charger. My travel distance was 240km and when I started my battery had 340, I barely made it with 20km left. Meanwhile I had to drive in range mode, 100km -90km/h and I had to turn off climate when I was uncertain if I make it!
Range mode is useless! You’d be lucky to gain 2 %. Instead, use Chill mode. It will limit your acceleration and thus saving an additional 2%. Lol.
Make sure you have at least a 90 % charge and preheat your battery in this weather. That will make a world of difference!
There’s no reason at all why you couldnt make Halifax in this weather as long as you don’t speed, preheat, and plan your charging accordingly.

Yeah FTR @DmitryTes .. New Brunswick is absolutely no problem anymore and getting from Aulac NB to Halifax is also no big deal. I did the round trip last week in -12ºC. I didn't sacrifice on speed or cabin heat. The trip will take longer than in the summer but it's absolutely doable.

Very disappointed with battery estimator. While I was passing Toronto on 401, message keep coming up drive 85km/h if you want to make to your next charger.
I've made a few long trips recently and I too find the Trip Planner overly optimistic at times. I did get that dreaded "reduce your speed" warning on a couple of occasions. What's really odd is that the Trip Planner tells me to reduce the speed, but it sticks to its original plan instead of recalculating the route and taking me to a closer Supercharger even when there is one on the way. I had to change the destination manually in such cases.
I've learned not to trust the Trip Planner too much and instead plan my trips on my own, making charging stops more frequently: for the peace of mind and also for much shorter charging stops!

Last edited:
I've made a few long trips recently and I too find the Trip Planner overly optimistic at times. I did get that dreaded "reduce your speed" warning on a couple of occasions. What's really odd is that the Trip Planner tells me to reduce the speed, but it sticks to its original plan instead of recalculating the route and taking me to a closer Supercharger even when there is one on the way. I had to change the destination manually in such cases.
I've learned not to trust the Trip Planner too much and instead plan my trips on my own, making charging stops more frequently: for the peace of mind and also for much shorter charging stops!

Hopefully the promised new mapping by functions will be better for this.

Curious, how long are your typical charging stops when you make them more frequently? How much do they affect your final driving time?

Hopefully the promised new mapping by functions will be better for this.
Curious, how long are your typical charging stops when you make them more frequently? How much do they affect your final driving time?

I try not to spend more than half an hour at a Supercharger. 40 minutes max. Just enough time to grab a lunch and take a bathroom brake. I've also noticed that the last 10-20% take the longest time. So, I don't usually charge to 100%. Just enough to get to the next Supercharger with a good reserve. It seems that by making more frequent stops and not charging to 100% I am not losing any extra time, but perhaps even saving some. But then again, I don't like driving for hours straight regardless of the car: I prefer stopping from time to time, to grab a coffee, or to stretch my legs if nothing else. Now I just have to plan my stops around Superchargers.

I try not to spend more than half an hour at a Supercharger. 40 minutes max. Just enough time to grab a lunch and take a bathroom brake. I've also noticed that the last 10-20% take the longest time. So, I don't usually charge to 100%. Just enough to get to the next Supercharger with a good reserve. It seems that by making more frequent stops and not charging to 100% I am not losing any extra time, but perhaps even saving some. But then again, I don't like driving for hours straight regardless of the car: I prefer stopping from time to time, to grab a coffee, or to stretch my legs if nothing else. Now I just have to plan my stops around Superchargers.

Makes sense. Are you worried at all about doing too much DCFC/Supercharging having an effect on your long term charge rate. I’ve read about the Tesla software putting artificial limits on charge speed eventually if one does too much DCFC/Supercharging. What is the risk of triggering that if you’re doing lots of smaller charges on DC Chargers? Have you seen any effect from that software limit?

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Makes sense. Are you worried at all about doing too much DCFC/Supercharging having an effect on your long term charge rate. I’ve read about the Tesla software putting artificial limits on charge speed eventually if one does too much DCFC/Supercharging. What is the risk of triggering that if you’re doing lots of smaller charges on DC Chargers? Have you seen any effect from that software limit?
Personally I am not worried. Most of my charging is slow nightly charging at home. Superchargers on road trips only. That's a relatively small percentage. This could be a bigger concern for those who use Superchargers and CHAdeMO almost exclusively though.