Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric vehicle incentives in Australia compared to rest of the world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Removing or raising the LCT threshold for EVs is not a subsidy. In fact if you want equality then the threshold should be $100k plus for EVs to be the same as a 'fuel efficient' ICE. If used for business the ICE also gets to claim fuel usage as a deduction. We effectively pay for our fuel in advance in the purchase price and get taxed 33% plus GST plus stamp duty for the privilege and are not allowed to claim or depreciate the full cost.
It's a good point Damo11 in regards to offering direct cash incentives toward the purchase of a EV. But I don't think its a concern in regards to reducing the Stamp Duty and LCT as we've already don't that to a small degree so simply decreasing these taxes further I doubt would cause any real anger towards those wanting to purchase a Tesla and as Mark E states it could be seen as an adjustment to create a fair playing field rather than a subsidy. One thing at a time, get the tax reductions first.

I understand the PM's wife owns a tesla? I heard such but may not be true. One solution is for as many owners as possible to have a meeting with the PM, pointing out that as current owners we have nothing to gain, and asking him to look into a solution for the benefit of the planet. Going to opposition parties is generally pointless, as the government wont do as they want (politics). Generally you can speak to the deputy chief of staff and ask for a meeting. Nicely generally works!

I understand the PM's wife owns a tesla? I heard such but may not be true. One solution is for as many owners as possible to have a meeting with the PM, pointing out that as current owners we have nothing to gain, and asking him to look into a solution for the benefit of the planet. Going to opposition parties is generally pointless, as the government wont do as they want (politics). Generally you can speak to the deputy chief of staff and ask for a meeting. Nicely generally works!

In fact we have something to lose... removal of LCT will lower the resale value of our cars.

In fact we have something to lose... removal of LCT will lower the resale value of our cars.
interesting point, although unknown. Don't all cars depreciate instantly to the price without tax, the reduce a fairly set amount each year? Would our value decrease, or would the difference between new and used simply reduce? Does that then make new more compelling than used?

No Chuq one doesn't expect a car to not devalue, however you don't expect to get another 20% hit on top of the 30% one gets in the first 2 years.

It's all a mute point, go look at the thread on the 'Art of Disruption', it's quite clear we don't need to remove LCT etc. for electric cars to succeed, it will only harm early adoptors whom helped the initial wave get started. The masses will buy when the price point becomes cheap enough, let's face it a Model S/X with no taxes is still an expensive car so it's the Model 3's, better Leaf's etc. that will drive the massive wave for the mass market adoption and this will occur with battery price reductions and not tax reductions.

-ECIT

There is no way the Tesla market is big enough to lobby government for any change. When EV's are cheaper the government won't want to lose out on their taxes for the mass market. At the moment, the price for performance is cheap in a Tesla.

I'm in Hong Kong and emigrating back to Australia in a few years. It's horrible to think I'll sell my HK model S and buy a new one in Sydney. Right now I bought the model S at 0% tax. (HK has a first registration tax of 100% of cars in the luxury class) I also could write off the whole vehicle cost off company expenses in year 1 and we pay zero registration tax each year. And every charging station here is currently free.

I want to stay clean energy when I come back to Sydney but man this car changeover is going to hurt so bad. I don't know what the Australian government is doing but for sure they have the worst green policies in the world right now

I'm in Hong Kong and emigrating back to Australia in a few years. It's horrible to think I'll sell my HK model S and buy a new one in Sydney. Right now I bought the model S at 0% tax. (HK has a first registration tax of 100% of cars in the luxury class) I also could write off the whole vehicle cost off company expenses in year 1 and we pay zero registration tax each year. And every charging station here is currently free.

I want to stay clean energy when I come back to Sydney but man this car changeover is going to hurt so bad. I don't know what the Australian government is doing but for sure they have the worst green policies in the world right now

They're both right hand drive, yes? Why not just ship the car to Oz?

The local service centre probably won't service a privately imported car.

Actually I already spoke to them before last time I was in Australia. They told me they can't offer warranty on the car but other than that they are identical and should work fine. I was worried about the supercharger protocols more than anything because honestly the price difference between importing my used tesla and buying a new one is sickening..

Actually I already spoke to them before last time I was in Australia. They told me they can't offer warranty on the car but other than that they are identical and should work fine. I was worried about the supercharger protocols more than anything because honestly the price difference between importing my used tesla and buying a new one is sickening..
If you haven't already done so, checking what the government will rip you off for would be a good idea.

Holden/GM have just announced that they won't be bringing the next gen volt to Australia because of a lack of government incentives. I still maintain that this is a transitory problem that will go away in a few years, but it certainly doesn't help Australia to keep up with the rest of the world.

Holden/GM have just announced that they won't be bringing the next gen volt to Australia because of a lack of government incentives. I still maintain that this is a transitory problem that will go away in a few years, but it certainly doesn't help Australia to keep up with the rest of the world.
I agree that this is likely a transitory problem but it's also a reflection on how slowly we are moving toward the inevitable and just how far behind the rest of the world we are. I still think the timing is right to put pressure on the states and the Libs to make these changes to Stamp duty and LCT sooner rather than later and at least appear to be a little proactive toward the promises we have made in Paris.

I agree that this is likely a transitory problem but it's also a reflection on how slowly we are moving toward the inevitable and just how far behind the rest of the world we are. I still think the timing is right to put pressure on the states and the Libs to make these changes to Stamp duty and LCT sooner rather than later and at least appear to be a little proactive toward the promises we have made in Paris.

I agree with this.

The other thing that politicians should consider is that incentives for EVs are actually an incentive for renewable energy projects as well. We see it all the time - until people buy an EV they often have no freaking clue how much their electricity costs nor care where it comes from. But when they get an EV all of a sudden their electricity costs go up, and it starts becoming a bigger part of their lives. Many people will then start to care about where their electricity comes from, as well as how much it costs. They look at companies with good renewables records, compares pricing to those with bad environmental records, and realise that the pricing is essentially the same or better.

So they switch over to the better companies, who then use the increased profits to invest in more renewable energy projects. On top of that, the new EV owners will take more of an interest in renewable energy and do some daily lobbying among friends and family.

That's how mass social change starts, in my opinion.

I agree with this.

The other thing that politicians should consider is that incentives for EVs are actually an incentive for renewable energy projects as well. We see it all the time - until people buy an EV they often have no freaking clue how much their electricity costs nor care where it comes from. But when they get an EV all of a sudden their electricity costs go up, and it starts becoming a bigger part of their lives. Many people will then start to care about where their electricity comes from, as well as how much it costs. They look at companies with good renewables records, compares pricing to those with bad environmental records, and realise that the pricing is essentially the same or better.

So they switch over to the better companies, who then use the increased profits to invest in more renewable energy projects. On top of that, the new EV owners will take more of an interest in renewable energy and do some daily lobbying among friends and family.

That's how mass social change starts, in my opinion.

This is very true Tim... I am a case in point. I had no interest in my energy bill 6 months ago - it was what it was. I drove a Tesla while in the USA, loved it, started doing research, that got me thinking about renewable energy and what is possible. Elon Musk putting everything on the line for a vision was inspiring. Since then I have put in solar power, carbon tracker, switched to a 100% renewable energy supplier, and treat it as a personal mission to minimise my energy footprint. In addition, I will never buy an ICE car again.

This is very true Tim... I am a case in point. I had no interest in my energy bill 6 months ago - it was what it was. I drove a Tesla while in the USA, loved it, started doing research, that got me thinking about renewable energy and what is possible. Elon Musk putting everything on the line for a vision was inspiring. Since then I have put in solar power, carbon tracker, switched to a 100% renewable energy supplier, and treat it as a personal mission to minimise my energy footprint. In addition, I will never buy an ICE car again.
That's brilliant Colina and you are spot on Timpoo! This is just the very beginning of a huge shift toward renewables. It's not that people don't care or don't want the change it's just that we've not had the opportunity to make the shift in an affordable way and what Elon is now doing is going to change the world and the way we live in it.