Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Vehicle Jobs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dealers will be taking a huge loss. Here's a chart that just shows how much profit will be now lost with no maintenance. You would be surprised. Tesla is only operating on basically Sales and charging ect.. They started offering software upgrades too now. Yes jobs will be lost and shifted to other sectors i am sure in the future.
I didn't realize the difference in maintenance on EVs vs ICE. I figured collision work, tires, suspension, heating, AC and probably some other things would be pretty much the same. Engine, exhaust would go away. Coolant would still be there, but different.

And with the average lifespan of a car being something around 12 years, it is a decades-long transition.

But 1,000,000 jobs created by transitioning to EVs?? I don't see it. I see the steady decrease in labor from more automated manufacturing and less maintenance required being offset by design, engineering, R&D, and construction jobs to hold employment steady for a couple of decades, before we see a decline.

Poverty rate IS that simple. It is the percent of the population that does not have enough to live above the poverty level. It takes into account everything - their income and government assistance they receive, cost of food, shelter, medical care, energy, transportation, beer, solar panels, cable TV, 4k TVs, etc.

The vast majority of people are employed in modern iterations of jobs that existed 100 years ago.
You mean jobs that are Internet, computer, and TV related? Ok, then I'll say it is reasonable that 100 years from now the majority of people will be employed in modern iterations of jobs that exist today.

When do you think computers will write movie scripts and have computers generate the movie without actors? Write novels?
When do you think computers will drive cars in a snowstorm?

You mean jobs that are Internet, computer, and TV related?

And that's a rounding error compared to other fields that will be eliminated by automation.
That's the point. Not that where will be ZERO jobs but few enough by far that we need to decouple labor and income. And it's not like this is binary. Much like climate change it gradually becomes a bigger and bigger problem. Already started... only going to get worse the longer we ignore it.

We have solved every problem that has come our way for 6 million years. I'm not worried all that is going to change in 100 years.

LOL! Ah the lottery fallacy. So the soldier that managed to make it to Berlin in WW2 no longer needs to concern himself with being shot?

Didn't industrialization mean higher productivity and fewer workers were needed???

We survived. As jobs in one sector go away, other sectors grow and new sectors are created. Worked for 6 million years; it is not going to end tomorrow.

One sector grew (manufacturing) and required more workers. THAT is what makes the 4th industrial revolution different from the others. ALL sectors will require fewer workers. There's no place to hide.

We needed horses for thousands of years until we didn't. Human labor will soon follow the same path thanks to machine learning. We still use horses but not nearly to the extent we did.

I didn't realize the difference in maintenance on EVs vs ICE. I figured collision work, tires, suspension, heating, AC and probably some other things would be pretty much the same. Engine, exhaust would go away. Coolant would still be there, but different.

And with the average lifespan of a car being something around 12 years, it is a decades-long transition.

But 1,000,000 jobs created by transitioning to EVs?? I don't see it. I see the steady decrease in labor from more automated manufacturing and less maintenance required being offset by design, engineering, R&D, and construction jobs to hold employment steady for a couple of decades, before we see a decline.

Don't recall saying all jobs would be transitioning to fixing EV'S. Once individuals start saving thousands on oil changes, vehicle maintenance, engines ect. They will in return now start transitioning that money saved into other sectors. Home renovations, investment properties, traveling ect.

Reactions: juliusa
One sector grew (manufacturing) and required more workers. THAT is what makes the 4th industrial revolution different from the others. ALL sectors will require fewer workers. There's no place to hide.

We needed horses for thousands of years until we didn't. Human labor will soon follow the same path thanks to machine learning. We still use horses but not nearly to the extent we did.
The cotton picker was invented 100 years ago. We still pick most fruits and vegetables by hand. Cotton pickers found other jobs.
Horses have been replaced - but last I checked nobody was concerned about horse employment.

Don't worry, there will be new sectors that require workers, and existing sectors will expand. As we become more productive, people can afford more, and we want more stuff. Maybe we'll get to the point where people don't have to work two jobs, where both spouses don't have to work outside the home, where we get 6 weeks of vacation a year (growth for tourism sector), and where we have a 4-day work week (which has been forecast for decades).

but last I checked nobody was concerned about horse employment.

Yeah... 'cause no one was concerned about horse
populations and horses aren't one of the primary consumers that drive economic growth.

If the population of humans did this the environment would be thrilled but I'm betting there would be other consequences and I don't think a ~80% decline in population is the best way to solve the problem.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.07.19 PM.png

people can afford more,

With income provided from what? Picking Fruit? How long before machines do that too?

More better technology didn't make more better jobs for horses. Why do you think the same won't soon occur with human labor?

Only a matter of time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MitchMitch