Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Vehicle Taxes, Fees, and Penalties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
To counter the "EV Incentives thread" this one is about new enacted laws, taxes and fees that will slow Electric Vehicles adoption.

State officials propose mileage tax for fuel-efficient vehicles in Oregon | OregonLive.com

SALEM -- Oregon state officials are proposing an alternative tax for drivers who have bought efficient or electric vehicles that seldom or never stop at the gasoline pump, where government has traditionally collected money to build and fix roads.

Related:
WA Senate passes $100 annual electric car fee

Washington State Lawmakers Issue Giant Middle Finger To Electric Vehicle Owners

Uugh, if we must do something, what about actual use taxes like the endless tolls in Orlando. Even if you are not from the area, if you use the road, you help pay for the road. Then it doesnt matter what energy we use for personal conveyance and people who have a particular car, but may frequently use public transit are not double taxed.

I agree that the details of the use tax being proposed for Oregon EV's are ridiculous, but the need at some point for something like this is clear.

Time for me to contact my politicians and suggest it's a bit premature to be discouraging EV's. We're far from having so many EV's and high mpg hybrids running about that highway funds are endangered due to the mass conversion away from gas and low mileage cars, and to EV's and high mileage hybrids

I agree that the details of the use tax being proposed for Oregon EV's are ridiculous, but the need at some point for something like this is clear.

Time for me to contact my politicians and suggest it's a bit premature to be discouraging EV's. We're far from having so many EV's and high mpg hybrids running about that highway funds are endangered due to the mass conversion away from gas and low mileage cars, and to EV's and high mileage hybrids

Why not just have a mileage and weight based approach for all cars? If their goal is to discourage gas guzzlers and not hurt the road tax from fuel efficient cars, that seems like a good solution.

Why not just have a mileage and weight based approach for all cars? If their goal is to discourage gas guzzlers and not hurt the road tax from fuel efficient cars, that seems like a good solution.
That's my idea too. Unfortunately legislatures like to treat EVs as special cases (same situation with the noisemakers). I guess they don't want to anger as much people and they think the backlash will be less if they start with EVs first.