Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Vehicles are best in a Disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The irony lies in the articles opening picture: workers fix a 3 phase power line to wooden poles! How about building a power grid less prone to failure in event of "disaster"? Even some governors affected by Sandy now demand electric infrastructure to be buried in the ground.

Didn't New York city have problems with flooding of underground utilities during Sandy?

Thanks for fixing the link, bonnie!

The irony lies in the articles opening picture: workers fix a 3 phase power line to wooden poles! How about building a power grid less prone to failure in event of "disaster"? Even some governors affected by Sandy now demand electric infrastructure to be buried in the ground.
Business: Washington Post Business Page, Business News
Overhead lines can have things fall on them, true, but they are much, MUCH cheaper to build and maintain. Also, there can be serious problems with flooding of underground wires, which happened during Katrina. So being less prone to disaster is very much a function of the expected disasters, and then a statistically improbable event can still cause massive damage. Then there is the issue of how much the customers want to pay in the way of rates. Would you want to pay double rates for electricity to reduce a storm outage from 1 week to 1 day?

I was at an EV event last year with a guy parked next to me who was selling a kit for your Prius that tapped into the battery and put out roughly 2.4kW of power. He asked if I needed a charge. I said the Roadster is finicky and wouldn't work... He insisted so I plugged into his Prius. I charged for over an hour at about 2kW with no problems! We only stopped because the event ended - not because he ran out of juice.

I might be able to find his web site if anybody is interested in ordering his system.