Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric vehicles move closer to widespread use, experts say - Business - CBC News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Electric vehicles move closer to widespread use, experts say - Business - CBC News

A new free high-speed charging station north of Toronto may be a sign that the barriers to widespread adoption of electric vehicles in Canada are being dismantled.

"I expect that within the next five to 10 years, we'll have moved significantly along [on] some of them. And we'll continue to move forward, because the electrified vehicle, I think, is something that's here," says Charlotte Yates, dean of social sciences at McMaster University in Hamilton.

Yates, who is currently working on a $2.1-million study on the effect of public policy on Canada's automotive industry, says public infrastructure is the key. "What infrastructure do we need for people who own electric vehicles where they know it's easy to charge them, it's quick to charge them, there are lots of spots to charge them, not only within the city, but perhaps along the highway?" she asks.

The Powerstream charger is a level 3 Chademo and J1772 coupler.

I assumed the second plug was CCS/SAE Combo Edit: [as stated by eMileage], or whatever they're calling the standard used by BMW (and a few other companies too, but which don't sell EVs to individuals in Canada).

I wonder what 3rd-party manufacturer will be the 1st to offer a Tesla connector on their 25-50kW stations.

Sadly, Ms. Yates seems like one of those "experts" who neither drives, nor has much in the way of personal experience with EV's...that "fleet-owned" statement is absurd at best..:rolleyes:.

She also appears to grossly misunderstand the "leaving your garage with a full battery after an overnight charge" benefit...her quote..

"The map does show hundreds, perhaps even thousands of level 2 charging stations in Canada. But almost all of those will take four hours to charge a car."

A pretty decent article, but did they say most (Canadian) EVs are fleet-owned?

Last edited: