Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I am new to this group and recently bought model y 2023.
I am wondering if anyone can help me with this product.

Can i use this to charge at nema 1-15 standard wall outlet at my condo parking stall?

The product does suggest this for RV use only however on amazon I found a similar product.

Parkworld 885491 EV Adapter Cord NEMA 5-15P to 14-50R (ONLY for Tesla UMC or Other EV Charging, NOT for RV) (18 inch) https://a.co/d/4cjIgaW

Please let me know your thoughts with both the products.

Thank you

Hello. I am new to this group and recently bought model y 2023.
I am wondering if anyone can help me with this product.
Can i use this to charge at nema 1-15 standard wall outlet at my condo parking stall?
Well, a couple of things. First off, that is for a 5-15 outlet, not a 1-15 outlet. I think the 1-15 outlets are the ones with just two slots, that don't have the round ground pin.

But secondly, that wouldn't do anything useful for you at all. Tesla already sells official plugs for both 5-15 or 14-50, so there is no reason to use a short pigtail cord like that to adapt one to the other. Maybe I should ask a more simple question. A lot of other brands of electric cars come with a charging cable that only has one single type of plug permanently molded onto it, and you might have to do nonsense like this. Did you know that the Tesla cord has removable switchable adapter plugs for different plug types? You can just order the plugs from Tesla's online store.

Occasionally there is some really obscure rare outlet type that Tesla doesn't sell a plug adapter for. In that case, you might need to find a third party adapter for it. And in that case, I would recommend www.evseadapters.com. They have a really large selection of really good ones that are built to plug directly into the Tesla cord and signal the correct number of amps, so I highly recommend them.

But for your use case here? There's no reason to adapt 5-15 to 14-50.

Please let me know your thoughts with both the products.
OK, but specifically, can they work? The first one won't, and the second one will. Adapters that are just made for camping supply or mobile home industry that are adapting a 120V source to a 240V receptacle are going to be wired wrong for EV charging. But some will announce in the product description that they are wired specifically for EV charging (like the second product you linked) and those should work fine.

Upvote 0
You can but it's can be not safe!
If you connect this adapter to Tesla mobile connector, It will try to pull 32 amps while the outlet is designed to pull no more than 16 amps. So the best case scenario - the breaker disconnects the line because of overcurrent. In the worst case, if the wires are not good or not correctly sized for the breaker - something can melt somewhere and even cause a fire.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Well, a couple of things. First off, that is for a 5-15 outlet, not a 1-15 outlet. I think the 1-15 outlets are the ones with just two slots, that don't have the round ground pin.

But secondly, that wouldn't do anything useful for you at all. Tesla already sells official plugs for both 5-15 or 14-50, so there is no reason to use a short pigtail cord like that to adapt one to the other. Maybe I should ask a more simple question. A lot of other brands of electric cars come with a charging cable that only has one single type of plug permanently molded onto it, and you might have to do nonsense like this. Did you know that the Tesla cord has removable switchable adapter plugs for different plug types? You can just order the plugs from Tesla's online store.

Occasionally there is some really obscure rare outlet type that Tesla doesn't sell a plug adapter for. In that case, you might need to find a third party adapter for it. And in that case, I would recommend www.evseadapters.com. They have a really large selection of really good ones that are built to plug directly into the Tesla cord and signal the correct number of amps, so I highly recommend them.

But for your use case here? There's no reason to adapt 5-15 to 14-50.

OK, but specifically, can they work? The first one won't, and the second one will. Adapters that are just made for camping supply or mobile home industry that are adapting a 120V source to a 240V receptacle are going to be wired wrong for EV charging. But some will announce in the product description that they are wired specifically for EV charging (like the second product you linked) and those should work fine.
I apologize. The wall outlet is 5-15. I received the 5-15 and 14-50 adapter a week later not with the car. They mail it later on now.

For the amazon product, how many amps should I restrict the car to for this charging at this location?

Upvote 0
For the amazon product, how many amps should I restrict the car to for this charging at this location?
12 amps is the maximum allowed continuous load, i.e. when charging an EV, for a circuit rated for 15 amps (per the 5-15 receptacle). The rule is no more than 80% of the circuit rating whenever there is a continuous load on the circuit.

Why do you believe you need to use the Amazon adapter to charge? The Tesla Mobile Connector comes with the 5-15 power plug adapter.

• Informative
Upvote 0
I apologize. The wall outlet is 5-15. I received the 5-15 and 14-50 adapter a week later not with the car. They mail it later on now.

Why do you think you need that Amazon product?

It's not good to rely on limiting amps in the car. I wouldn't use such a setup unless it was an emergency.

• Love
Upvote 0