Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical buzz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed as of late, that when I charge my model Y, the conduit that supplies the 60 amp circuit to my wall connector is making a buzzing noise. I can’t tell if it’s coming from the conduit itself or the wall connector, or the wiring inside. I haven’t noticed this sound before. I can’t tell if it’s an AC hum or what. If I charge at 48 A the sound is quite loud, and if I gradually turn the amperage down through the app, the noise gets quieter. I can turn it down to about 20 A and the noise pretty well disappears. Should I worry? Any ideas?

I've seen reports of humming or buzzing from installations in conduit, where the wires are vibrating slightly from the 60 Hz of the AC frequency interacting somehow with some metal nearby. I wouldn't say it's common, but it does seem to happen sometimes and isn't unusual. Here are some threads about it.

I've seen reports of humming or buzzing from installations in conduit, where the wires are vibrating slightly from the 60 Hz of the AC frequency interacting somehow with some metal nearby. I wouldn't say it's common, but it does seem to happen sometimes and isn't unusual. Here are some threads about it.

Thanks for those threads, I read them all with interest! First off I will double check to make sure the conduit is strapped securely to the studs that are supporting it. I know that most of the vibration / hum - comes at a 90° turn about halfway through the circuit. Nothing seems to be hot or excessively warm.Oddly enough this just started a couple days ago, and the wall connector has been running flawlessly for the last 18 months since it’s installation. I guess I will not get overly worried at this point. So I can probably rule out that it’s the wall connector itself…??

I remember a couple of the cases in those threads seemed to be the noise coming directly from the breaker, and replacing that sometimes took care of it. If it's more from the conduit area, maybe tightening things up could help, but shouldn't be an issue even if it keeps going on. It might possibly be something from in the wall connector. Maybe make sure the wires are screwed in tightly there.

But I remember testing out this effect when I was a kid. We had an electric heater, and when it was running, if I took a magnet off the fridge and held it next to the power cord, I could feel the buzzing vibration in the magnet from the current in the wire flipping direction at that 60 Hz frequency.

Is your conduit metal or plastic? If it's metal, I think this would be fairly common, where the induced magnetic fields around the wires could be trying to induce things in the metal of the conduit, which would be fighting that if it's grounded. But the wires themselves can do some of that, even if the conduit is plastic.

I remember a couple of the cases in those threads seemed to be the noise coming directly from the breaker, and replacing that sometimes took care of it. If it's more from the conduit area, maybe tightening things up could help, but shouldn't be an issue even if it keeps going on. It might possibly be something from in the wall connector. Maybe make sure the wires are screwed in tightly there.

But I remember testing out this effect when I was a kid. We had an electric heater, and when it was running, if I took a magnet off the fridge and held it next to the power cord, I could feel the buzzing vibration in the magnet from the current in the wire flipping direction at that 60 Hz frequency.

Is your conduit metal or plastic? If it's metal, I think this would be fairly common, where the induced magnetic fields around the wires could be trying to induce things in the metal of the conduit, which would be fighting that if it's grounded. But the wires themselves can do some of that, even if the conduit is plastic.
Well I followed up all the suggestions, I pretty well got it under control now. I found that two couplings we’re a little on the loose side so I tightened them. I also removed the clamps that held down the conduit and put a piece of garden hose in between the conduit and the studs where it they were mounted. Once I tightened everything down the noise Subsided substantially! Now it’s just a gentle hum. Thanks for all the suggestions I think I’m gold again.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Reviving an old thread here...
I began to have the vibration/hum from my conduit after about 18 months of use. It was perfectly quiet until then. I tightened up all the fittings, and removed the clamps and placed a split garden hose under the conduit and clamped down the straps more securely. It did quiet the noise down substantially but not entirely. Well - its been another six month on now, and the hum is starting to return. Re-tighten, re-clamp again? 🤷‍♂️

You could always stick a bit of vacuum hose in your ear...

(no seriously!)

...and hold the other end up to different parts of the set up.

That might help you identify a specific location. Fuel line would probably be better than vacuum hose tbh as it's a bit wider

Better still would be a proper automotive stethoscope. I've found mine very useful in identifying water leaks in my house too!

You could always stick a bit of vacuum hose in your ear...

(no seriously!)

...and hold the other end up to different parts of the set up.

That might help you identify a specific location. Fuel line would probably be better than vacuum hose tbh as it's a bit wider

Better still would be a proper automotive stethoscope. I've found mine very useful in identifying water leaks in my house too!
Interesting you mention the hose. Years ago I used an old garden hose to identify engine noises. I think I will try that the next time I charge the car. Thanks for reminding of my old ICE days.

Reactions: EVer Hopeful