Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

electrical buzzing noise when throttle/consumption between 2 and 20kWh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just started a thread about this on the main model s page. Up to 20kw is exactly when I hear the noise but there are also some clunking sounds when changing into gear. Also a very small stutter when inching forward (no creep mode on).

The slight stutter when creeping forward is completely normal and nothing to be concerned about. It's just a characteristic of these motors at low RPMs.

But of course the normal response is.... It didn't do it before. And we are taking about a considerable amount of driving here.

The stutter, the clunking, and the whine all started at the same time.

OK, then your stutter is different than the "normal" stutter. The normal stutter can be felt when you're stopped at a light. If you put in just barely enough pedal pressure to percetibly move forward, you will feel a slight stutter. It requires a steady foot and the car is moving under 1/2 mph.

Is there a small vibration in the steering wheel with this milling sound? Just took delivery today and a few times I noticed a brief vibration in the wheel and what seemed like a high pitched scraping sound as I was depressing the accelerator slightly.

I haven't noticed any vibration and the milling sound is quite loud in my car. I'm booked for a drive unit replacement in mid May. The milling noise is heard with any amount of power at low speed, and it increases in frequency with speed. It's most noticeable in a parking garage with your windows open, but you can hear it any time. At very low speeds, it sounds more like a growl/purr, and then as you speed up it sounds like an electrical whine/buzz, and as you pass about 40 km/h, the frequency of the milling noise goes up to hearing limits and it gets lost in the wind and tire noise.