Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical genius required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have 2 ev's and 2 x 7Kw chargers. When we charge the Tesla at 32 amps on either charger it causes our electrically operated gates to not work. When we charge our other EV (BMW i4) at 32 amps on either charger the gates and everything else works fine.

One charger is a Podpoint Solo the other is a Hypervolt Home 2.0.

We have booked a Tesla ranger appointment so they can see the issue for themselves.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of issue, or have any ideas as to how to rectify this?

We have 2 ev's and 2 x 7Kw chargers. When we charge the Tesla at 32 amps on either charger it causes our electrically operated gates to not work. When we charge our other EV (BMW i4) at 32 amps on either charger the gates and everything else works fine.

One charger is a Podpoint Solo the other is a Hypervolt Home 2.0.

We have booked a Tesla ranger appointment so they can see the issue for themselves.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of issue, or have any ideas as to how to rectify this?
Well, that’s an oddball! I have 2 EV’s and 2 Zappi’s. (No gates). It’s clearly not tripping anything but I can’t see that the Tesla itself should have any impact. I’d would have thought it was about power draw. Be interested to know what the cause is.

Well, that’s an oddball! I have 2 EV’s and 2 Zappi’s. (No gates). It’s clearly not tripping anything but I can’t see that the Tesla itself should have any impact. I’d would have thought it was about power draw. Be interested to know what the cause is.
The trip doesn't go off here either. Just weird that one car works fine and one doesn't, again the same voltage and amps.

You’ve had your car as long as I have, Has that always been the case or has something recently changed?
It's has always been the case.... the first charger we got was the podpoint which is connected off the garage supply which is the same supply the gates are off, so I had assumed it was caused by too much load on that supply.... but when we got the 2nd EV and 2nd charger last week I soon worked out the issue is the Tesla. The new charger comes directly off the main incoming supply so is in no way connected to the garage supply.

I cant see it being current draw as the charger should step down the amount of charge if there are other demands on the supply. Are you operating the gates via a hard wired switch?.
do the gates have a remote? my guess would be some form of Rf interference blocking the gates

Gates are wired. Both cars are parked side by side. One charger has CT monitoring and the voltage doesn't drop so unlikely to be a supply issue.
Agreed, it doesn't sound like a supply issue. There would be nothing current limiting the supply to the gates and if maximum load was exceeded the breaker should trip.

If the gates have a poor electrical connection then additional voltage drop from the car charging may be enough to stop the gates functioning but I would expect both cars to have the same effect.

It is conceivable that the Tesla is producing some electrical noise but the charger should have filters within it to make sure the mains supply is clean.

The only thing I can think of is RF interference that the Tesla is making that the gates don't like. You say the gates are only wired controlled, but I wonder it it has a wireless option not being used, or the electronics are just getting upset - try some shielding around the control box (aluminium foil for example as a test).