Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical genius required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speculation here - I'm not an electrician... Sounds like the gate motors are the single-phase induction type, so will each have a starter capacitor and perhaps a run capacitor. These are known to deteriorate with time, leading to failure to start. Perhaps the Tesla charger is feeding back harmonics which prevent the (possibly weak) start caps from doing their job.

Speculation here - I'm not an electrician... Sounds like the gate motors are the single-phase induction type, so will each have a starter capacitor and perhaps a run capacitor. These are known to deteriorate with time, leading to failure to start. Perhaps the Tesla charger is feeding back harmonics which prevent the (possibly weak) start caps from doing their job.
It might be different with the OPs gates - but the ones I have are Came (most of them are Italian origin and Came and BPT are some of the most popular makes) - in any case the drives are not direct AC - they run through a control board with transformers, go to 24V and rectified to DC. Helps with things like backup batteries etc. the drives being low voltage DC they can then also integrate things like over-current feedback for obstacle detection and other sensors like IR beams etc all work on the low voltage.

1682076524091.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Dilly
Except that it is specifically linked to the Tesla charging. Another EV charging at 32amps has no effect on the gates apparently.
If there was a widespread issue with 32A single phase Tesla domestic charging, we’d hopefully know about by now. It not like they’re uncommon.

Given this issue is pretty much peculiar and particular to the OP then logically you would deduce it’s the gate control, drives or a combo of the particular installation wiring and circuiting of their setup.

I checked (admittedly a 3/phase Gen 2) unit and it was clean as a whistle on harmonics. As you’d expect.

If there was a widespread issue with 32A single phase Tesla domestic charging, we’d hopefully know about by now. It not like they’re uncommon.

Given this issue is pretty much peculiar and particular to the OP then logically you would deduce it’s the gate control, drives or a combo of the particular installation wiring and circuiting of their setup.

I checked (admittedly a 3/phase Gen 2) unit and it was clean as a whistle on harmonics. As you’d expect.

Has to be something with the Tesla though, as another car can charge happily at 32 A while the Tesla can only reach 24 A with the UPS, or previously 16 A without, without killing the gates. Has to be some bizarre edge-case perfect storm combination of the OP's installation, perhaps having some unusual degradation or deficiency making it extra susceptible, and something the Tesla charger is doing.

Interested to see if the gates work with Tesla charging at 32 A and the UPS running the gates on backup. High chance that works.

Reactions: Astrape
I don't think he did, but can't be sure... he was at the gates I was at the car / charger and we were communicating by shouting.
He only mentioned the voltage being fine and voltage drop not being the issue for the gates now operating correctly.
I’d place the UPS at the actual gates (temporarily) rather than at the end of 40m of cable with voltage drop.

Spec sheet from UPS says it’s got a buck n boost AVR - but doesn’t give any further specs on that (to what voltage etc) so supply at the gate could still be dipping below some threshold at which the gates stop moving.

So yeah, I’d try it with the UPS directly connected at the gates - both with and without the mains connected. See what transpires.

Reactions: Astrape