Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical issues with new load center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my PTO this week and the system was finally importing! Later in the day, I noticed one of the breaker (quad 15/50) had tripped when I turned on the AC and the microwave.
The quad breaker is in the load center and all work for was completed by Tesla.

I reached out to Tesla this morning and they stated that an electrician will come out to look at it BUT first I must agree to Site Visit Agreement. I will be charged $200 which may be waived if Tesla determines the issue isn't caused by them.

Does this make sense? Is it a normal practice to sign the SVA for every time a tech comes out to look at the system?

I have never had to sign an agreement for service. If tesla did all the work, I dont understand the need for that myself, but I dont know the particulars of course. Are the microwave and AC on that quad breaker that tripped or something?

Can you duplicate the issue, or was it a one off?

I have never had to sign an agreement for service. If tesla did all the work, I dont understand the need for that myself, but I dont know the particulars of course. Are the microwave and AC on that quad breaker that tripped or something?

Can you duplicate the issue, or was it a one off?

I'm going to try and replicate the issue later today. I tried chatting in and both times I was told that Site Visit Agreement is required to schedule the service.

Yes, the AC and microwave both are on the same quad breaker.

I personally dont understand why that is necessary (the site visit agreement). Perhaps its something new or something I am unware of (I dont work for tesla or anything).

It would make sense if you had a third party install or something, and were asking tesla to come back out. If it were me, I wouldnt be chatting, I would be calling, but I dont like chat support for any company (not just tesla). When I have an issue, I dont want an automated anything, I want a human, usually.

I personally dont understand why that is necessary (the site visit agreement). Perhaps its something new or something I am unware of (I dont work for tesla or anything).

It would make sense if you had a third party install or something, and were asking tesla to come back out. If it were me, I wouldnt be chatting, I would be calling, but I dont like chat support for any company (not just tesla). When I have an issue, I dont want an automated anything, I want a human, usually.
I was chatting with a human but they weren't helpful at all. I will be calling in next week.

I was chatting with a human but they weren't helpful at all. I will be calling in next week.
I get that (chatting with a human), but I personally dont consider "chat support" from any company "real" support. Its too easy to ignore you. Perhaps its my age (mid 50s), but even though I work in IT, and am not averse in any way to technology (I actually love tech), when I have an issue, I prefer being in person with the person helping me (face to face).

Failing that, because its not possible many times, I will do phone. I dont do chat support unless its "after making contact, with an open case that is being worked on".

If someone is going to tell me "no" or "We need this Site visit agreement before we will come out to service the equipment we installed", I want to be able to ask "can you please explain why that is, when Tesla installed it all and nothing has changed?" and make someone try to answer that question. In chat its very easy to say "sry thats policy k thx bye" (somewhat joking but im sure you know what I mean).

I get that (chatting with a human), but I personally dont consider "chat support" from any company "real" support. Its too easy to ignore you. Perhaps its my age (mid 50s), but even though I work in IT, and am not averse in any way to technology (I actually love tech), when I have an issue, I prefer being in person with the person helping me (face to face).

Failing that, because its not possible many times, I will do phone. I dont do chat support unless its "after making contact, with an open case that is being worked on".

If someone is going to tell me "no" or "We need this Site visit agreement before we will come out to service the equipment we installed", I want to be able to ask "can you please explain why that is, when Tesla installed it all and nothing has changed?" and make someone try to answer that question. In chat its very easy to say "sry thats policy k thx bye" (somewhat joking but im sure you know what I mean).
Valid points! I hope I can get this sorted via the phone call!

Have no experience with Tesla chat or phone, but my experience has been that chat is better than phone with many companies. First off, I can usually get a hold of someone right away than having to wait on hold. Second chat is typically more to the point

@komrade Can you post a photo of the breaker? If it is a multi wire branch circuit, the latest electrical code requires that both poles to be connected, I.e. looking like a 240V breaker.

All the best,

BG
Sure. Here it is:

IMG_1705.jpg

Can you remove cover. Shouldn’t backfeed be at the bottom. There is no master breaker in panel. Can you provide pictures of complete system, with first pictures of complete system inside and out, followed by detailed pictures, and labels on panels.
The 15 amp is not handle tied together, so they are probably individual circuits. Please leave the 15 amp breaker off till this gets sorted out. Miss wired multi wire branch circuits are how houses burn down. Common when pool installer installs sub panel breaker in master panel and has to move breakers around to do so.
Is the AC the 50 amp breaker.

Last edited:
Can you remove cover. Shouldn’t backfeed be at the bottom. There is no master breaker in panel. Can you provide pictures of complete system, with first pictures of complete system inside and out, followed by detailed pictures, and labels on panels.
The 15 amp is not handle tied together, so they are probably individual circuits. Please leave the 15 amp breaker off till this gets sorted out. Miss wired multi wire branch circuits are how houses burn down. Common when pool installer installs sub panel breaker in master panel and has to move breakers around to do so.
Is the AC the 50 amp breaker.

Here's the picture with the cover removed. Breaker is highlighted in red box.

IMG_1723.jpg

So just the microwave tripped, the AC is still working. Is anything else off?

What size was the breaker for the microwave before?

AC doesn't work either. I've to reset the 15 AMP breaker and then it all works until it trips again lol

I'm not sure of the microwave breaker size in the previous panel.

@komrade that purple wire looks to be 12 ga; is it? Second, is there a neutral wire associated with it? In the photo, there doesn't look to be one.

All the best,

BG
It does look like 12 ga wire. I will have to check it again. The neutral wire seems to be right below the pink wire in white.

Is it normal for AC to be off as well if 15 amp trips? Does the whole breaker becomes inoperable until reset?

(I am not an electrician. IIf the pink and purple wire share a neutral, then that would make them a multi wire branch circuit, and I believe that the newer codes require that the poles be connected. Nevertheless, if it is 12ga, and the wire goes only to the microwave (I.e. the microwave circuit doesn't have a piece of 14ga wire somewhere else), then the breaker for that circuit might be upgradable to 20A. (However the other circuit also has to be all 12ga as well!)

If it were me, I would have an electrician out to look at it, and ask if the circuits could be upgraded to 20A to reduce nuisance trips. From what you have shared, I would be thinking about mis-wiring issues or a bad breaker, but that's just me.

All the best,

BG