Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical panel advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zaxxon

Supporting Member
Dec 11, 2012
Colorado
I'm looking at buying a home that has a panel which looks rather full to me. I'm interested in adding at least a 14-50 outlet in the garage, and perhaps a 60A EVSE instead. Also want to put at least modest solar PV on the home.

I know we have some amateur and pro electricians here, so please give me your thoughts on what this panel may signify in terms of upgrades needed to accomplish these goals.

The panel is located inside the home, on an exterior wall, in the room adjacent to the garage, in case that helps.

PXL_20220410_184425967.jpg

Your panel has 150Amp service to it. Depending upon the simultaneous loads of your home, that may allow you to add a 50 or 60amp circuit for an EV charger. The way you could free up spots is to replace some of your lower amp circuits with some half-height breakers of the same amperage to free up slots

Reactions: Zaxxon
If you replace two of those breakers with one of these, you'll have enough physical space for another 240v breaker. I'd probably use the tandem breaker to combine 21 and 23, and move 25/27 up a slot, and then add a new breaker at the bottom. As far as whether or not you have enough electircal capacity... technically you should do a load calculation, but you're probably fine.