Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical people pls help.

Yoshua60

Jul 3, 2019
Houston
I’m trying to get some juice to my MS at my condo. I have purchased a socket converter to get the electric to the 3 prong adapter. But it’s a two to three prong so the charger turns red and doesn’t charger. Anyone know how I can fix this? I feel there’s a work around I don’t understand.

Thanks!

Attachments

• CCEEDF7F-3781-4FFC-9BE4-159D18A98CE5.jpeg
    CCEEDF7F-3781-4FFC-9BE4-159D18A98CE5.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 0A64DF21-3A7E-4DB6-A575-368357CE61CE.jpeg
    0A64DF21-3A7E-4DB6-A575-368357CE61CE.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Funny
Reactions: BDV300

ckoval7

Mild One
Sep 19, 2018
Maryland
The only work around is to use other chargers while you wait for your HOA. Best case what you're doing there won't work, worse case you risk burning your condo down.

May 31, 2016
Orange County, CA
You need to run a proper ground to the breaker box, there are other mickey mouse solutions that I would not recommend because as mentioned above, risk of fire. Also, what is the AWG and length on that extension cord? Extension cords are not recommended but if you do use one make sure it has proper sizing to pull 12amps continuous for hours and hours on end.

Reactions: Rocky_H

maximizese

Jan 16, 2018
California
Jesus H, stop what you’re doing right now and back away from the extension cord.

Slowly.

Sloooooowwwwly.

Thankfully the car is saving you from yourself.

Absolutely. I'm guessing that light socket wire gauge is not going to safely provide 1.5kW and who knows what else is on that circuit...let alone the amp capacity. It's clever to innovate a solution to something, but it's foolish to mess with electricity and other deadly forces when you have no idea what you're doing.

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
There’s no normal 110V outlet anywhere in the space you posted pics of? Hard to believe you have to resort to rigging up all sorts of adapters via a light bulb socket.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC