TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Electrical Savings with Georgia Power TOU Rate

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by cmorn, Sep 3, 2014.

1. cmorn

cmorn Member

I just checked my Ga Power bill. I have the EV TOU rate giving me very low cost between 11pm and 7am. I calculated that my bill would have been $90 higher if I was on a standard plan. Then just for fun, I fugured out how much juice went into the car, I added 20% for charging loss. So I was able to calculate what my bill would have been without the Model S on the standard rate. Answer: The cost of fueling the Model S was minus $28. That is really cool.

2. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

I'm confused.
    So the EV rate saved on your electrical bill even without considering the cost of charging your car? What did I miss here?
    I know that the EV rate from 2 Pm to 7 PM is 2-3 times higher than the Standard rate.

3. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I have looked into TOU rates with my local power company (Liberty Energy) and they just don't make sense. They do offer a small discount (about 20%) on late night rates (11pm to 6am) but they also jack up rates for the rest of the day by about 100%. So... unless I am able to cut my energy use during the day drastically, it will end up costing me more.

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I am much like cmorn during the summer. Where just moving to the ToU rate saved me more money than charging my Model S was costing me.

So my ~$20-30 a month for charging was off-set by saving about the same amount for just switching to ToU (outside of 2-7pm during weekdays during summer, power is cheaper than the normal plan).

I pay ~$200-250 (depending on outside temperatures) per month June-Sept. I pay ~$70-80 per month outside of that. Before EV ToU I paid about ~$200-250 per month June-Sept. Before EV I paid ~$40-50 per month outside of that.