Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical Savings with Georgia Power TOU Rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked my Ga Power bill. I have the EV TOU rate giving me very low cost between 11pm and 7am. I calculated that my bill would have been $90 higher if I was on a standard plan. Then just for fun, I fugured out how much juice went into the car, I added 20% for charging loss. So I was able to calculate what my bill would have been without the Model S on the standard rate. Answer: The cost of fueling the Model S was minus $28. That is really cool.

I'm confused.
So the EV rate saved on your electrical bill even without considering the cost of charging your car? What did I miss here?
I know that the EV rate from 2 Pm to 7 PM is 2-3 times higher than the Standard rate.

I have looked into TOU rates with my local power company (Liberty Energy) and they just don't make sense. They do offer a small discount (about 20%) on late night rates (11pm to 6am) but they also jack up rates for the rest of the day by about 100%. So... unless I am able to cut my energy use during the day drastically, it will end up costing me more.

I am much like cmorn during the summer. Where just moving to the ToU rate saved me more money than charging my Model S was costing me.

So my ~$20-30 a month for charging was off-set by saving about the same amount for just switching to ToU (outside of 2-7pm during weekdays during summer, power is cheaper than the normal plan).

I pay ~$200-250 (depending on outside temperatures) per month June-Sept. I pay ~$70-80 per month outside of that. Before EV ToU I paid about ~$200-250 per month June-Sept. Before EV I paid ~$40-50 per month outside of that.