Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical System Power Reduced....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the following message/warning 2 or 3 times, only when getting in the car for the first time in the morning and, I think, only after charging.

"Electrical System Power Reduced/Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly". Not a happy message.

Every time the message has come up (again, just 2 or 3 times), the message has gone away and the car drives fine. Searching the web, I saw comments in the Tesla forum that others have commented this could be a dead 12V battery (I've owned my MY for 3 months +/- 4,000 miles), could be a rear drive unit, fuses - who knows. Some are concerned that the car will leave them stranded and head straight to the SC.

I did report the error to Tesla and the error was waiting for me when I went to schedule a service appointment in the Tesla ap. I have an appointment next week at the SC which is approx 180 miles away so not all that convenient.

Curious of others have seen this error and what their outcome was.

Thanks!

This happened to me this week as well. It went away maybe 30 seconds and I was able drive away just fine.

My Y is less than 1 month old and has 465mi on it. Normally I wouldn't worry too much about this but I'm about to leave on an 18-hour road trip and would hate to get stranded. My friend recently had the 12V battery on his Model 3 die and he had to have the car towed to the service center.

IMG_4078.jpg

This happened to me this week as well. It went away maybe 30 seconds and I was able drive away just fine.

My Y is less than 1 month old and has 465mi on it. Normally I wouldn't worry too much about this but I'm about to leave on an 18-hour road trip and would hate to get stranded. My friend recently had the 12V battery on his Model 3 die and he had to have the car towed to the service center.

View attachment 601429
Please post back when you get any info from the Service Center on what your issue is. As I’m mentioned , my SC is a ways away and I didn’t want to drive there until they did some remote diagnostics which they haven’t yet. Waiting to see if it does it again and I’ll note the time/date and tell them so they can dig in further.

I called the service center and they tried to remotely look up the fault in my vehicle log. They could not find anything and the car was behaving normally so they said they couldn’t do any emergency service and I would need to schedule the next available service center appointment for a diagnostic.

I was leaving on an extended road trip and did not have time to wait for an SC appointment so I just decided to risk it. It’s now been over a week and a half and I’ve driven well over a thousand miles with no issues.

I just saw the same message in my car (2018 LR AWD, 18K miles). The message also alternated with "Unable to charge. Charge port door must be closed to drive". There were also multiple sets of clicks coming from the main contactors. The warnings went away after a few seconds and then the car drove normally. Tempted to request service.

I just saw the same message in my car (2018 LR AWD, 18K miles). The message also alternated with "Unable to charge. Charge port door must be closed to drive". There were also multiple sets of clicks coming from the main contactors. The warnings went away after a few seconds and then the car drove normally. Tempted to request service.
Btw, I did bring mine in for service and they did a diagnostic and said everything is fine. That a subsequent firmware update fixed the issue. Wish they could have told me that before I drove 5 hrs round trip to the SC. Let’s hope they’re right, I haven’t had the error in at least a month and the car drives fine.

I filed a service request and received a response saying someone had looked at some logs and deemed it a software problem that would be fixed by a software update. And in the meantime if it happened again a full reboot would get the car going again. Uh, huh. We'll see.

My model Y has been in the shop for 3 weeks now with constant “electrical power system reduced”

After 10 hrs of diagnosing, issue continues to persist

Service center asks that I pay for an additional 6 hrs for $1300

Does something seem off? Feel like I’m getting scammed

We have this same problem. 2018 Model 3. We had the 12-volt battery replaced by the SC twice. Then it came on again. They cleaned a ground wire and said they spent a decent amount of time trying to figure it out. The light came on again this morning. Has anyone had success getting this fixed??