Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical thought exercise - backfeeding with a Cybrtrk & PV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like Cybrtrk will have power sharing capabilities. I don't believe specs have been released about this but let's assume it's a 220v power source.

What if we use an interlock switch at the panel along with a dedicated circuit that allows me to safely backfeed from the truck, electrifying the whole house, within reason? As long as some care was taken (no blowdryers or space heaters etc) couldn't the truck feasibly be used as an emergency power source?

I figure there's no good reason why this wouldn't work, but then I thought about my 9.4kW system which goes dead when the grid is down ... suddenly the "grid", in at least my island, is back ... would they fire up and start producing? Where would that power go - maybe ... back into the truck somehow? Could the Cybrtrk be an emergency Powerwall on wheels?

...I figure there's no good reason why this wouldn't work...

It's technologically achievable but Tesla has been voiding the warranty for those who use its car's battery for Vehicle-to-Grid.

We don't know how much amperes CyberTruck will allow users to siphon from the main battery but most likely it would restrict it down to a capacity of a small portable generator for small power tools like a drill or if we will be lucky, a 240V 15A table saw...

One thing I would love to see is feeding back to the truck through the 110/220v line from an external solar array (with or without the optional solar Elon mentioned).

This would be great for long campouts to charge the truck batteries throughout the day and rely on all the power they generated + remaining capacity at night. This would save on having to bring a second battery pack for charging it from your portable panels and allow scalability beyond the standard solar option.

Reactions: jboy210
One thing I would love to see is feeding back to the truck through the 110/220v line from an external solar array (with or without the optional solar Elon mentioned).

This would be great for long campouts to charge the truck batteries throughout the day and rely on all the power they generated + remaining capacity at night. This would save on having to bring a second battery pack for charging it from your portable panels and allow scalability beyond the standard solar option.

Agreed. When I saw the possibility of putting multiple panels my immediate thought was recharging would ensure you had power to not only drive but recharge all your devices, and if necessary, wait out weather for a few days. Add the Starlink connection and you can also call for help from anywhere.

The fact that it has outlets means that you won't void the warranty using it as a "stationary power source".

Powering your home during a blackout does not count as "vehicle to grid", because the grid will be disconnected.

The only issue is that Tesla hasn't given the specs yet, but if its intended to power your tools "all day" with 240v (those tools are powerful in the U.S. if it needs 240v) then you should be fine.

I think it is possible that they may actually use powerwall cells for this truck, since it is so enormous they may not need the extra density. Don't know if that is feasible.

I'd be super impressed if they were able to deduce what I was using the outlet for, be it my table saw or my furnace and fridge.

15a at 240v would be enough to power my entire house within reason (natural gas hwt & furnace) for days.

Sure, so I assume that you've got a 15A panel for your house. But then again, I suspect that you may have a 100A or 200A panel. Wonder what all that extra capacity would be used for?

Sure, so I assume that you've got a 15A panel for your house. But then again, I suspect that you may have a 100A or 200A panel. Wonder what all that extra capacity would be used for?

frey.jpg

Reactions: Blup85
seems to me that feeding your house in an outage is pretty pedestrian if you have a powerwall with or without solar array/generator.
Ford is promoting it so we know it is legal and safe. Seems we just need the proper charging station and a software (car and ap) update.

The 240V outlet on the truck can definitely be used for a load bank. Im a bit more interested in the vehicle-to-grid implication, given that it was in fact announced at battery day that all future vehicle models moving forward would have it. But at what power capacity? Yet to be unveiled in any regard.

How far will you be able to drain the cybertruck batteries before it cuts off? How long will it take the cybertruck to get a full charge using only solar and powerwalls? The only problem I see would be if there is not enough sun for the solar panels to charge the truck back up.