Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical vehicles will be taxed in Victoria Australia from July 1, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I protest! As of July 1, 2021 I will no longer be using my Tesla mode S because our Victorian Labor Government is going to tax all electrical vehicles 2.5 cents per kilometre and it will remain parked until this new tax is removed. In Australia we get zero tax relief when buying an electric car and I was even charged a "Luxury Car Tax" of $19,000.00. But this new tax has gone too far.

The excuse for this new tax is because electric vehicles don’t use unleaded fuel or diesel which has a 38 cent per litre excise tax on it. Despite the fact this actually goes to the Federal Government’s general revenue not the states. The Federal Government then gives only some of this revenue to the states for roads.

Luckily I kept my previous diesel car for towing and for when friends and family come to stay, so I will go back to using that and as it turns out the excise tax part of the diesel it uses works out to approximately 2.5 cents per kilometre. This new tax shows that the state government doesn’t care about global warming and what it does show is that with only a few electric cars on the road our vote don’t amount to much so best get this new tax in before electric car are common place and the votes will count.

I think of this like smoking which I gave some 14 years ago and the tax that was on a packet of cigarettes was lost to the government. So using the current logic, They should have introduced a tax for not smoking.

It is somewhat simple actually, Get a photo of your odometer every year, and send to VicRoads via their web server. It is simplified by the fact that all driving counts, including on private property or interstate.

But this has to be done on 1st July. What if their servers get overloaded and crash on the 1st of July and you can't do it?

Also for Tesla you are just taking a photo of a computer screen in the car. Which raises a lot of issues. How is it possible to prove that this is the Tesla screen you photographed? Do you have to prove the photo is authentic? Or do they have to prove it isn't authentic?

I don't understand how they will do it. They will never get accurate numbers unless they install metres in every car 😂
The NSW scheme will be more sensible because there is a quid-pro-quo: trading off vehicle purchase stamp duty for the RUC. The Government will probably make more money out of the RUC longer term, though.

And because annual registration inspections are required in NSW, I expect odometer readings will be reported to the RMS as part of that process by the Authorised Inspection Station, and it’s all done electronically. Limited scope for individuals to lie or engage in fraud.

But this has to be done on 1st July. What if their servers get overloaded and crash on the 1st of July and you can't do it?
There ain’t that many EVs in VIC…

Also for Tesla you are just taking a photo of a computer screen in the car. Which raises a lot of issues. How is it possible to prove that this is the Tesla screen you photographed? Do you have to prove the photo is authentic? Or do they have to prove it isn't authentic?
Do people knowingly and deliberately engage in fraud? One would hope that EV drivers are better than that…

I protest! As of July 1, 2021 I will no longer be using my Tesla mode S because our Victorian Labor Government is going to tax all electrical vehicles 2.5 cents per kilometre and it will remain parked until this new tax is removed. In Australia we get zero tax relief when buying an electric car and I was even charged a "Luxury Car Tax" of $19,000.00. But this new tax has gone too far.

The excuse for this new tax is because electric vehicles don’t use unleaded fuel or diesel which has a 38 cent per litre excise tax on it. Despite the fact this actually goes to the Federal Government’s general revenue not the states. The Federal Government then gives only some of this revenue to the states for roads.

Luckily I kept my previous diesel car for towing and for when friends and family come to stay, so I will go back to using that and as it turns out the excise tax part of the diesel it uses works out to approximately 2.5 cents per kilometre. This new tax shows that the state government doesn’t care about global warming and what it does show is that with only a few electric cars on the road our vote don’t amount to much so best get this new tax in before electric car are common place and the votes will count.

I think of this like smoking which I gave some 14 years ago and the tax that was on a packet of cigarettes was lost to the government. So using the current logic, They should have introduced a tax for not smoking.
I understand and sympathise with your ire. What a stupid, retrograde, unfair money grab. However, one of the reasons we buy EVs is because we think it is better for the planet. So, please, reconsider and continue to drive your Tesla. Don’t stoop to the level of politicians.

Although I agree with the insanity of the tax, why would you park your car to pay more per km (fuel+tax+servicing) to drive a fossil fuel car, as well as the environmental issues? No pollie is going to give two hoots about a (valid) one person protest.

When its introduced in SA I’m planning on doing a screen shot from the app on my phone. I contains VIN, distance, date, and time.
Hmmm. Wonder if that is actually legal. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be though. Although I doubt the legislators were thinking about electronic or remotely readable odometers.

"VicRoads will require ZLEV registered operators to provide a photo image of their vehicle's odometer."

If you have issues, tesla also have historical records of your cars odometer

Will Tesla actually give you access to the historical records? I thought they tended to be very closed with access to this sort of data. Unless they want to debunk a popular media article.

I am running teslamate too, which logs historical figures. Not sure this would be acceptable to the government bodies as proof or not though.

My iPhone Tesla app shows time, distance traveled and VIN but not the date.
On my iPad Tesla app, it does show the date.
I will send Vic Roads the iPad screen shot.
Collecting this tax will cost more than it generates.
I don’t use my car a lot, will have to pay $77 based on past 12 months driving.
Thanks for the $100 discount on Rego fee.
Minus $13 revenue.
Wife has a TM3 as well, she will have to pay $112 Tax.
Wow, $12 collected after $100 Rego discount.
Victorian Govt just lost $1.

Hmmm. Wonder if that is actually legal. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be though. Although I doubt the legislators were thinking about electronic or remotely readable odometers.

"VicRoads will require ZLEV registered operators to provide a photo image of their vehicle's odometer."

Will Tesla actually give you access to the historical records? I thought they tended to be very closed with access to this sort of data. Unless they want to debunk a popular media article.

I am running teslamate too, which logs historical figures. Not sure this would be acceptable to the government bodies as proof or not though.
They probably think the odometre is still 6 little turning wheels. The app Is actually better for them as it slaos proves its your car as it shows the VIN.….but it is a government department

Collecting this tax will cost more than it generates.
I don’t use my car a lot, will have to pay $77 based on past 12 months driving.
Thanks for the $100 discount on Rego fee.
Minus $13 revenue.
Wife has a TM3 as well, she will have to pay $112 Tax.
Wow, $12 collected after $100 Rego discount.
Victorian Govt just lost $1.
Hadnt realised the iphone didnt show date and ipad does- thanks for the tip!
I’m like you, will be beter off from the EV road user charge, but still expressing my severe concerns about the bigger picture to my local MP who is in a very marginal seat and up for re-election in March.
But SA have committed to hundreds of millions of dollars worth of chargers throughout the state over the next two years. They should have tied the tax to these rather than the roads. Simply asking EV owners to contribute to the charging infrastructure.

There is only one Tesla App for iOS, and that was designed for iPhone. On the iPad, the iPhone App just runs in a ‘compatibility’ mode - which is why it doesn’t fill the screen (you can zoom in 2x but the aspect ratio remains the same) and nor does not swivel around into landscape mode - which is how I always use my iPad because I have a keyboard attached. And that makes the App fairly unusable on an iPad.

It’s a very poor effort from such a high-tech company. They should design a proper iPad App which, because there’s more screen real estate, could offer more functionality. And also operate in landscape mode like just about every other iPad app!!!

The only reason you see the date at the top of the screen on the iPad is because iOS on the iPad shows the time and date, but iOS on the iPhone only shows the time. That is independent of whatever app is running.