Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical vehicles will be taxed in Victoria Australia from July 1, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They didn’t muck around, 6:11am an email from vicroads requiring a pic of the odometer.
So their servers are capable of at least that much! 😄

It will be interesting to see the initial level of compliance. I expect there will be some objectors, or people on holidays in VIC, or have changed emails (or claim they have never been formally notified)… not many overseas I guess.

also my driveway is 120m long, so if I take the car out 300 times a year (probably a massive under estimate but maybe over this year due to lockdowns... I dunno) that's what? ~70km a year? How exactly do these idiots expect me to account for this? The site seems to say I need to take photos of my odometer to keep track of distance traveled on private land, well how do I do that if the odo doesn't show that level of granularity anyway? can I just send vicroads a bill for driveway maintenance now? 🤣

(yeah I know, I'll just end up paying $1.80/year to drive on my own driveway because of this. I just needed to vent. Sorry.)

I'll admit I haven't read much about this so excuse this dumb question: do we pay tax on the kms we drove prior to today?

Hope not !! The law is only applicable from today so we shouldn't need to pay for prior to today. But If you don't send your odometer reading today they will calculate the daily average and add to it retrospectively when you true up next year. Feels like Oracle software licensing now.. people in IT and SW will understand that reference.

I'll admit I haven't read much about this so excuse this dumb question: do we pay tax on the kms we drove prior to today?
You don't. That's why they need a reading from today.

They need a baseline reading today, and then another reading at your next rego renewal, so they can tax you upon renewal for kilometres from today til then.

Then at the subsequent rego renewal, they'll need yet another reading, and they'll tax you on the kilometres you've driven since the previous renewal.

Reactions: srwx
So I decided to re-ignite my email flame war with my local state rep on this tax. She first refused to talk to me prior to the vote in parliament on the issue, then I sent her a strongly worded email to which she ignored all the points of and instead says me asking if perhaps oil/gas lobbyists had paid for this tax was "abuse". I have now gone on to ask her how I should track the kms I drive on my driveway, she said call vicroads. She points out LPG has had excise since 2011 but ignores when I respond asking why it had zero excise for the 30 years before that. She says EVs will pay less than half the road tax of an ICE vehicle and so I pointed out that my old diesel car with a 4.5l/100km efficiency paid 1.9c/km in road tax compared to 2.5c/km on my Model S and so she changes the subject and tries to guilt me by saying my emails are keeping her from dinner with her family. She has well and truly lost my vote. I apologise in advance if that means we get a LIBERAL GOVERNMENT</friendlyjordies> in Victoria next term but there is no way I can vote for this woman.

Reactions: AussieOwner
So I decided to re-ignite my email flame war with my local state rep on this tax. She first refused to talk to me prior to the vote in parliament on the issue, then I sent her a strongly worded email to which she ignored all the points of and instead says me asking if perhaps oil/gas lobbyists had paid for this tax was "abuse". I have now gone on to ask her how I should track the kms I drive on my driveway, she said call vicroads. She points out LPG has had excise since 2011 but ignores when I respond asking why it had zero excise for the 30 years before that. She says EVs will pay less than half the road tax of an ICE vehicle and so I pointed out that my old diesel car with a 4.5l/100km efficiency paid 1.9c/km in road tax compared to 2.5c/km on my Model S and so she changes the subject and tries to guilt me by saying my emails are keeping her from dinner with her family. She has well and truly lost my vote. I apologise in advance if that means we get a LIBERAL GOVERNMENT</friendlyjordies> in Victoria next term but there is no way I can vote for this woman.
Maybe she should put her phone down when with her family rather than blame you.