Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrical warnings - Car Won’t Start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey fellow Model S owners,

I’m having a strange problem. I’ve had a series of electrical system warnings show up, and the car would power up (displays, etc) but it would not go into gear to drive. The warnings were as follows in reverse chronological order (most recent at top)

GTW_w018 electrical system power reduced
DI_u014 unable to drive (voltage supply too low)
GWT_w157 power reduced (systems shutting down)
BMS_w008 vehicle may not start service is required
BMS_f011 unable to start service is required.

HISTORY:
I just had my eMCC replaced a few days ago (and an LTE radio put in)
No problems until today (car sitting parked in garage all night)
Battery at 75km, and when I could not put the car in gear I was also unable to plug in the charger
Now, after sitting for just another 30 minutes, somehow it suddenly will go into gear.

I left it for a bit (30 minutes) and now I can actually put it in gear.
I am also able to plug in the charger now.

I’m worried this is just going to happen again. About 2 years ago I had an interconnect issue that caused my HV pack to not function properly, and it was also intermittent. I was able to return to the car a few hours later, and it started, and was repaired under goodwill.

Could that have happened again?

UPDATE: My car charged up to 80km and now stopped charging, and won't continue charging. This is definitely bad.

Last edited:
Probably not. I've had this car for 7.5 years and followed Tesla for about the same amount of time. I've never seen anyone have an issue getting these kinds of warnings with 20% on the battery. But I'm trying to charge it just so it doesn't brick on me if it sits in the cold for a few days.
Good luck!

I’ve a bit of a soft spot for Port Perry - it’s where both of my lovely Chows came from, both sadly lost last year (Josol Chows)

Reactions: FrozenCanuck
In a chance it's the 12 V battery?
I considered this for sure. I even have a 12V booster that I was going to use in case that was the issue. But I'm getting no 12v warnings, and I had the battery replaced by Tesla within the last 2 years, so I do not think this is the issue.

Last time I had a similar issue (intermittent shut down, car won't start) and it was a high voltage interconnect issue. I submitted a service request through the app and the SC got back to me already suggesting they are digging into the logs, but it looks like an HV issue.

Thankfully I was able to fully charge the car last night. There are no warnings right now. So I'm going to drive it to the SC (save myself the towing fee) and I'll have my wife follow in her car, so we can drive home together.

I'm grateful that Tesla Service told me to just drop it off in the parking lot (even when closed on Sunday), and drop the key for them, and they'll get going on in Monday.

Well guys - here’s a brief update so far. Not much of an update, but hopefully getting to a solution.

• I dropped off my car at the Tesla Lawrence/Railside (Toronto) service centre on Sunday afternoon, knowing they could then begin diagnosis on Monday morning.
  • They were very prompt with getting in touch with me via texting in the app. I approved a $231 fee for diagnosis immediately.
  • Their estimated completion kept getting pushed out. From Monday end of day (seemed absurdly unrealistic) to Tuesday, then Wednesday, and finally on late Wednesday they asked for approval for another $490 in fees to remove and replace the rear drive unit, in order to get at some component that they believe has failed. I approved this.
  • Still no formal diagnosis as of Thursday morning.
  • I am well aware that HV issues can be a pain in the ass to figure out, but hopefully they’ll know soon enough.
  • Fingers crossed that this will be covered by the 8-year drivetrain and battery warranty. Not sure.

Reactions: henderrj
I was just reviewing this thread after the same series of electrical problems happened on my 2017 model S. Fortunately, it happened in the garage when my wife tried to go shopping. Thank goodness for my Audi Q5 to still have a car that works.

I am now awaiting a call from service to schedule something. The funny thing is that I am trading the car in for a new model S and I am scheduled to make the swap in four days, Wednesday.

No diagnosis on previous posts so I hope to follow-up on what happens.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Had this happen to my wife on 8/4/22 when she was driving our 2017 75D. After telling me she saw the "Vehicle may not restart message," I told her to drive to the nearest Tesla service center (which was 3 miles away). After she parked, the car wouldn't restart and it just so happened that this particular service center doesn't do high voltage work. They tried jumping the 12V but that didn't help (12v was replaced 4 months prior). Tow truck had to come get it and move it to another service center.

Got the car back on 8/18/22 and they said it was caused by bad HV harness or HVJB to DCDC. Part number is 1086380-00-A. Diagnostics, part, and install came out to be around $750.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Just to complete my story, My car came back to life about 3-hours later with no indication that anything happened. Service never did call. When I traded the car in last week I told them the story but they did not care. Perhaps the car will be somebody else's problem.

Going in for service tomorrow on my new S, I have misaligned window trim molding and wind noise on the driver side. They said to bring another ride as they have no loaners or a $100 Uber voucher. Tesla service continues the downward slide!

What was the diagnosis on this? I’m getting the same issues on my 2017 Model S, now dead in my garage
They replaced the drive unit under warranty. Apparently some kind of cover on the unit was cracked, and moisture got in and caused corrosion. $12k part. No charge.

2 months later same warning. Turns out it was the battery control module in the battery. They wrecked the seal on my battery trying to fix it and I got a brand new battery for free. Now I’m selling the car, LOL. Some lucky guys gets a great deal.

Hey fellow Model S owners,

I’m having a strange problem. I’ve had a series of electrical system warnings show up, and the car would power up (displays, etc) but it would not go into gear to drive. The warnings were as follows in reverse chronological order (most recent at top)

GTW_w018 electrical system power reduced
DI_u014 unable to drive (voltage supply too low)
GWT_w157 power reduced (systems shutting down)
BMS_w008 vehicle may not start service is required
BMS_f011 unable to start service is required.

HISTORY:
I just had my eMCC replaced a few days ago (and an LTE radio put in)
No problems until today (car sitting parked in garage all night)
Battery at 75km, and when I could not put the car in gear I was also unable to plug in the charger
Now, after sitting for just another 30 minutes, somehow it suddenly will go into gear.

I left it for a bit (30 minutes) and now I can actually put it in gear.
I am also able to plug in the charger now.

I’m worried this is just going to happen again. About 2 years ago I had an interconnect issue that caused my HV pack to not function properly, and it was also intermittent. I was able to return to the car a few hours later, and it started, and was repaired under goodwill.

Could that have happened again?

UPDATE: My car charged up to 80km and now stopped charging, and won't continue charging. This is definitely bad.
i have same issue