Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow Tesla enthusiasts,

I wanted to communicate this to you guys before things get released to the press as I value TMC and thought you might like to hear it first.

For about a year now some motorsport friends and I have been putting together what is going to be the ElectricGT world race series, which should, in its first season, see 20 race prepared Tesla Model S's on International circuits with professional drivers.

There are a lot of details about the championship that I can talk about later, but now we are in the process of closing the main sponsors and preparing the cars.

As this is all about showing electric cars at their best we want to reach as much of the world as possible. For that reason we will broadcast all race content free over live streaming in social media. In addition to edited video feeds, all cameras (inside and outside the cars and on the circuits) will be streamed so you can choose the feed you wish to view (or feeds if you have multiple devices or are with friends).

If you are interested in helping out, taking part or just helping to spread the word through social media, then get in touch with me, follow @EGTChampionship or keep an eye on www.electricgt.co. And if anyone happens to be in a position of influence in a business that would want to expose their brand in this kind of event then I'll be glad to hear from you too. :)

Sport should excite and inspire. It should show the best we are capable of. It should represent the pinnacle of our abilities. and in doing so it should exhilarate future generations to achieve more. That's what we aim to do.

Cheers

Mark

ElectricGT Fully Covered 1.jpg

'Race prepped' as in all glass and any excess weight removed?
Removing some superfluous weight seems like the least of what would be required. I was under the impression that to drive an S really hard for more than 5 or 10 minutes the motor and battery cooling system would have to be significantly modified and possibly the software would have to be tweaked.

'Race prepped' as in all glass and any excess weight removed?
Sounds fun

it was neat to eavesdrop a little bit on your discussion about racing at Connect last summer!
I am doing my 6th Enduro race in a couple of weeks...always super fun

Yeah, we started talking the idea seriously after TMC Connect. It has taken a lot of effort to get to this stage, but now it is really happening. Next Connect I will have a lot more to talk about :)

Removing some superfluous weight seems like the least of what would be required. I was under the impression that to drive an S really hard for more than 5 or 10 minutes the motor and battery cooling system would have to be significantly modified and possibly the software would have to be tweaked.

This is without a doubt the #1 issue. Removing weight will help a lot though. Our race preparation team are looking into options to assist cooling, and I think they have some good solutions, but it will still be an aspect of racing that will help decide between the heavy footed drivers and the fast efficient ones (you know who you are!).

For instance we have seen that by keeping speed up around the corners the work demanded of the battery and PEM is much lower. Race tires, a slightly wider stance, and lower weight all help with this. Also, choosing variants of circuits with more curves and less long straights helps a lot.

One thing that is key here is that we will not be making any serious changes to the cars... the last thing we want is to annoy Tesla Motors, and in the few conversations we have had it was clear that as long as we don't mess with the car they are not going to stop us.

All that said, the car is behaving very well and we are confident it will make for awesome racing.

Nice video!
I hope they are successful. I'm also not a big fan of Formula E.

I'll be very curious to see if they can solve the heat issues. It seems like it will be a much more challenging problem than they are anticipating though. They won't be able to get away with just throwing in some bigger radiators, they may need to change the motor and the inverter completely.