Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician in Ottawa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone in had a wall connector installed in their garage in the last year? Apparently the laws have changed and I was told it'll likely be 3000+ to get one installed (seemed nuts to me!)

I have tried to do a google search to see what the new laws were but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone in had a wall connector installed in their garage in the last year? Apparently the laws have changed and I was told it'll likely be 3000+ to get one installed (seemed nuts to me!)

I have tried to do a google search to see what the new laws were but couldn't find anything.
I had mine installed outside as my garage is packed, very reasonable from my Ottawa electrician .

Could be the max Amos of the panel you have, what kind of breaker where you quoted and how many amps of a breaker were you asking for. Depending on how much you drive just installing a 15-20 amp breaker at 240v is sufficient and much cheaper then upgrading your panel.

Unless you're doing a full panel upgrade, this is ridiculous.

Breaker is $60, wire ~$50 depending on your run length, 1-2 hours labour. Should be under $500 unless you're doing major panel renovations or have a really long run.

Had my Tesla HPWC installed with my existing 200 amp panel. I have a M3 LR so I went with a 60 amp circuit. Ontario code requires a disconnect at the wall connector. That can be a NEMA 14-50 plug or an appropriate switch. Since I wanted 48 amps I went with a cut off switch I picked up at Home Depot for $60. Cost for breaker, 10' armored cable, and labor was about $750. My electrician here in Ottawa is Globe (JD) Electric (613-744-3595). They do excellent work for a resonable price. Note that cost depends on how many free slots are in your panel and the location of the connector to that of the panel.

With a 200 amp panel you are fine, it's the 100 amp folks with AC and an electric range that get the big $$$ quotes including panel upgrades, for those that want to save money in Ontario stay under 60 amps and the disconnect is not required, unless you actually need to charge that fast. For the majority of people a 20 amp breaker at 240v will be enough and the money saved will cover your supercharging costs for many cross country trips.

Had my Tesla HPWC installed with my existing 200 amp panel. I have a M3 LR so I went with a 60 amp circuit. Ontario code requires a disconnect at the wall connector. That can be a NEMA 14-50 plug or an appropriate switch. Since I wanted 48 amps I went with a cut off switch I picked up at Home Depot for $60. Cost for breaker, 10' armored cable, and labor was about $750. My electrician here in Ottawa is Globe (JD) Electric (613-744-3595). They do excellent work for a resonable price. Note that cost depends on how many free slots are in your panel and the location of the connector to that of the panel.
Interesting, my master electrician said their was no code requirement for a cut off switch. I have a 200 amp panel, he re arranged the panel to add the switch.

With a 200 amp panel you are fine, it's the 100 amp folks with AC and an electric range that get the big $$$ quotes including panel upgrades

Correct. I was in that boat. For a 200 amp upgrade I would also have needed a service upgrade from the utility - Hydro One penny-pinchers apparently install as cheap an aluminum service cable as they can (new home in 2013). My cost was quickly spiralling into the thousands (plus weeks to wait for Hydro One to come and even assess the situation).

What saved me from the megabucks on a 100 amp service was a charge controller that automatically disables car charging if the load would be too high. Code-compliant and means the charger doesn't have to be part of the load calculation. It's tripped twice in a year and a half - summer nights with A/C and clothes dryer running. It un-trips after the load goes back down and the car resumes charging. The one I have is this - DCC-9.

Correct. I was in that boat. For a 200 amp upgrade I would also have needed a service upgrade from the utility - Hydro One penny-pinchers apparently install as cheap an aluminum service cable as they can (new home in 2013). My cost was quickly spiralling into the thousands (plus weeks to wait for Hydro One to come and even assess the situation).

What saved me from the megabucks on a 100 amp service was a charge controller that automatically disables car charging if the load would be too high. Code-compliant and means the charger doesn't have to be part of the load calculation. It's tripped twice in a year and a half - summer nights with A/C and clothes dryer running. It un-trips after the load goes back down and the car resumes charging. The one I have is this - DCC-9.

How much did you end up paying?

I do have a 100amp service and also have a pool and soon to have a hot tub. The electrician I talked to said the DCC9 option brings me to about 1900 (which includes installation) and the cost of the charger is of course extra.

He said another alternative is to look on Hydro Ottawa for my consumption by hour for the last 2 years. I did this, and determined the highest I ever went was 7kwh and 90% of the time I'm under 4kwh. That said, I don't have a hot tub yet, so that would obviously increase my usage.

I'm thinking my best bet is to do the DCC9, but if its only $1000 less does it make sense to just spend the $3000 and get the 200 amps and then have no issues going forward?

To complicate this, I'm likely moving within 5 years. Perhaps I should just charge at work and get by with the level 1 for when I charge at home (which in theory isn't required as I can charge at work 5x a week). $3K plus charger seems heavy if I'm not in my forever home

I posted about it here - basically I ended up at around $1600 taxes-in. It's a useful thread to go read for all the other Ottawa experiences too.

Regarding getting your consumption stats from Hydro Ottawa, I understood it was all about the load calculation (potential peak load) as opposed to your actual load profile but I'm no expert. I imagine the problem with using your usage is someone else could buy the house in future and be different (adding electric stove, drier, A/C etc) in a way that makes it unsafe.

Just a note... the electrician installed my cutoff box a little too close to the charger.. it makes it slightly annoying to take the handle out because it bumps a bit on the box.

Just something to be aware of...

Attachments

• A4758947-80FA-4550-91EE-C5020EE74228.jpeg
    A4758947-80FA-4550-91EE-C5020EE74228.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 166