Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician in Raleigh/Cary, NC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have an electrician in the Raleigh area that you would recommend to install a NEMA 240v outlet in my garage next to the fuse box???

I and many around here have used Nick Athan who is Tesla certified (from Apex?). He put in a new box (primary was almost full), and ran about 30' of conduit from the box over one garage door to the new plug between my two doors for $800.

Reactions: jimmyz80
Thanks for this, I've also been curious. CMC Electrical did good work for me in the past with my Nissan LEAF EVSE, but this time around I'd like someone vetted by Tesla. Got one local quote from a different Tesla electrician and it was off the wall bonkers expensive for how simple my job would be.

Maybe the trick is to tell the electrician what is needed without mentioning that it’s for a Tesla. Is it possible that some electricians double their rates when they hear “Tesla”?

This has been discussed before and the consensus has always been to just ask for a 50-amp outlet.

For the OP, having your breaker panel in the garage is a blessing. Mine is in my basement and was an 80ft run from the panel to my outlet. The fact that you're putting the outlet right next to the panel should be a very simple (and cheap) job.

Sorry, I missed the notice of your post. I don't know how to outfox these electricians as to intended use. It is probably obvious to a Tesla certified electrician why someone calls them for a garage outlet. Nick struck me as quite the savvy guy.

Nick did not respond to my phone call or text, so I am going with Roy Electric. $400+tax. The electrical panel in my garage is full, so he is going to have to pull wire from the outside electrical panel that is next to my electrical meter.

I highly recommend Wiretech. They are a Tesla trained shop, and they did a proper site survey of my house appliances, lighting, etc. to ensure my existing panel would handle the existing consumption + car. I was leaning towards a 90amp circuit to future-proof my garage for the bigger Tesla charger, but their analysis from the site survey indicated that would exceed the existing capacity of my panel.

When I had NC Electrical Group come out for a quote, all he did was a quick two-second look at my panel. And what was even more disconcerting was his answer to my question of whether I could install a 90amp circuit: "Sure buddy, why not?" Eeek.

Installation by Wiretech was very professional and thorough. Granted, the quote from NC Electrical Group was dirt cheap, but you get what you pay for.

I highly recommend Wiretech. They are a Tesla trained shop, and they did a proper site survey of my house appliances, lighting, etc. to ensure my existing panel would handle the existing consumption + car. I was leaning towards a 90amp circuit to future-proof my garage for the bigger Tesla charger, but their analysis from the site survey indicated that would exceed the existing capacity of my panel.

When I had NC Electrical Group come out for a quote, all he did was a quick two-second look at my panel. And what was even more disconcerting was his answer to my question of whether I could install a 90amp circuit: "Sure buddy, why not?" Eeek.

Installation by Wiretech was very professional and thorough. Granted, the quote from NC Electrical Group was dirt cheap, but you get what you pay for.

They're the company that quoted me a huge price for a pretty straightforward job. I'm sure they do great work, but I took a pass on them.