Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician installed my NEMA 14-50 receptacle upside down..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not responsible for anyone hurting themselves using any of the following advice contained within this response.
The wires connecting to X and Y can be swapped with one another. The wires to G and W should not be swapped.
Therefore, if you attempt to rotate, you will only have to twist G and W wires (leaving them attached to the receptacle). The X and Y wires can be detached, left in same junction box position then reattached once the receptacle is rotated.
Of course, you would do this all while your two-pole circuit breaker is in the OFF/tripped position.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-07-19 135718.png
    Annotation 2019-07-19 135718.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 3,092
You cannot turn the receptacle in the box if it has the required #6 wire. They're too stiff. You have to disconnect the wires and connect in the other direction. That's easy as the power wires ( red, black ) can go to either pin. The neutral ( white ) and ground ( green or copper ) need to be switched properly.

Reactions: Incredulocious
so instead of the adapter hanging down from the plug it goes up. This means I have to put a bungee cord around it to hold charge unit up. The electrician said that's the way he had to install the wall receptacle. Does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you hold your charge unit up?
bull crap....he's just a lazy sun of a gun.....in Irvine by code, the ground must be on top

Same thing here. It was installed a few months prior to the car arriving, so I didn't realize the issue at first. Once we got the car and started plugging in, it seemed that over time that would put a lot of stress on things, and it just looked stupid to me. So I did what someone quoted above. Shut off the breaker. Unscrew the front of the outlet. Don't disconnect any wires. Just gently rotate 180 degrees, and put it back together. Power on, and off you go!

I’ll respectfully disagree. The wires will be long enough. Make sure the breaker is off. It will feel stiff but it will turn. If properly installed those wires will be torqued on there quite tight.

Cheers.
You cannot turn the receptacle in the box if it has the required #6 wire. They're too stiff. You have to disconnect the wires and connect in the other direction. That's easy as the power wires ( red, black ) can go to either pin. The neutral ( white ) and ground ( green or copper ) need to be switched properly.

It's impossible to know for sure without seeing the particular box and wires whether it can simply be rotated. It helps a lot to look carefully at the wires as usually turning one direction or the other will minimize the amount of twisting going on. I stand by my advice that it will probably be easy, but if you are unable to do it with gentle movements, then it could require disconnecting and reconnecting wires.

Reactions: X-pilot
I've seen that 14-50 install orientation once.
At the Grand Opening of the N Houston Tesla service/showroom, in the Delivery Bay. :eek:

It was found to have been corrected by my next visit. Funny AF at the time though. I may have a picture in my phone...

• Funny
Reactions: JasonR67
So if the general standard way to install these receptacles is ground up then why did Tesla design their adapters to prefer gound down? I'm very confused over this.
The general standard IS ground up and that's how Tesla does it. Looking at pics of a handful of various 14-50 plugs on the internet quickly tells the story.

81g1VQMF%2BgL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
41I3fcqnLML._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

41iviTlwsSL._SX425_.jpg
1099345-00-C_0.jpg

Last edited:
Ground up is the way. not an nec requirement though..
Maybe not an NEC things, but might be a local code thing in some places. One of these was already in my home when I bought it 4 years ago. Prior owner had some sort of heavy equipment in garage, Separate from the 14-50, I had a Tesla wall charger installed. The building inspector came out to inspect it and said the wall charger installation was great, but "turn around that 14-50 so the ground is up" !!!! I said, my electrician didn't install it, and I don't use it. The rather snotty reply was "I don't care who did it. It's not the way I need it to be." He signed off on the Tesla, yet made a note in his log about the 14-50. Electrician was nice enough to come by (lives close by) and change it for free and remarked ….. "Oh Charles must have been here. He's hard to please." Geez.

Maybe not an NEC things, but might be a local code thing in some places. One of these was already in my home when I bought it 4 years ago. Prior owner had some sort of heavy equipment in garage, Separate from the 14-50, I had a Tesla wall charger installed. The building inspector came out to inspect it and said the wall charger installation was great, but "turn around that 14-50 so the ground is up" !!!! I said, my electrician didn't install it, and I don't use it. The rather snotty reply was "I don't care who did it. It's not the way I need it to be." He signed off on the Tesla, yet made a note in his log about the 14-50. Electrician was nice enough to come by (lives close by) and change it for free and remarked ….. "Oh Charles must have been here. He's hard to please." Geez.

Yep, first chapter in the code book says it’s all up to authority having jurisdiction, eg the inspector.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert