Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician installed my NEMA 14-50 receptacle upside down..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so instead of the adapter hanging down from the plug it goes up. This means I have to put a bungee cord around it to hold charge unit up. The electrician said that's the way he had to install the wall receptacle. Does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you hold your charge unit up?
Mine ended up that way also! I have a drill press right next to it so I lay the charge unit over the top ( which happens to be at that level ) and it’s been fine! Going on two years now.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This is why I printed out the instructions from the Tesla site and handed them to my electrician and said follow these. The instructions are very clear that it's pin up.
Unfortunately my electrician also installed mine upside down with ground on bottom vs. top. I too gave electrician Tesla instruction, but he was doing electrical upgrade work regarding a kitchen remodel (in 2018) so I guess he wasn’t familiar with EV charging. Oh well. I followed guidance on thread but unfortunately there is no slack, or the electrician pushed the slack wire up behind drywall and it’s a really tight fit. I pulled on it a little and it wouldn’t budge. I know my limits so i just screwed everything back together and will have my current (new) electrician fix problem. Maybe I’ll go the wall connector route since I’m going to have to pay to have my guy come out anyway. Delivery of Y is Dec. so lot’s of time.

Believe it or not, most NEMA 14-50 installations (think dryers) are installed upside down. In my old house when I wanted a charging station for my M3, my electrician friend installed the NEMA 14-50 upside down. Arrrgh. When we moved, I made sure he installed the new plug in my new garage right-side up. It is much more pleasing although works just the same.

Suggestion, throw the breaker, turn the switch around, secure everything and turn the breaker back on. If you’re squeamish about this or don’t want to be dissed because you’re messing with a code compliance issue, call the electrician back and have him/her change it. Just say’in.

so instead of the adapter hanging down from the plug it goes up. This means I have to put a bungee cord around it to hold charge unit up. The electrician said that's the way he had to install the wall receptacle. Does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you hold your charge unit up?
Who did you go with and how much was it? I’m from the area looking to get one installed as well.

Just to be clear, there is no "upside down" or "rightside up" orientation for any outlet. They can be installed either way around with "typical" being defined by local custom, which varies both regionally and with the kind of location (ie regular duplex outlets are pretty much always installed with ground pin up in hospitals as a safety measure). Good sense dictates that if you know what is going to get plugged in and it has an angle head on it you'd orient the outlet so that the cord hangs down. So either flip it yourself or have the electrician do it. If he didn't leave enough wire or install a big enough box then s/he will complain mightily, especially if it requires pulling new wire, but it can (and should) be done. If you didn't specify, or show the cord to the electrician prior to the install then you're probably going to have to pay for the switch. If he knew what was getting plugged in and put it in with the cord pointing up, then it's on him to fix.

It would be a (legal) kluge, but you could use the installed box as a junction box and run a new set of wires to a box right next to it for installing the receptacle in the correct orientation if the issue is that the wires are too short.

Alternately, you can swap the plug on the charger for one that exits the back of the plug rather than at an angle.

Just to be clear, there is no "upside down" or "rightside up" orientation for any outlet.
In my parking garage, all of the 120V outlets have the ground on the top. My Tesla UMC and Hyundai portable charger both have an angled plug designed with the assumption that the ground pin would be down. So, I have to secure the wire pointing-up so that it doesn't bend at the joint and eventually fail. So, apparently Tesla and Hyundai believe 120v outlets need to be ground pin down (or at lease assume that's the most popular orientation).

Side note: I'm able to use a short (heavy duty) extension cord to mitigate the orientation issue, however, the Hyundai charger gives errors when I use the extension cord. I'm amazed that it can even sense it. It's a 20A cord so I'm not sure how it knows.

Less code regulations? It’s a stove plug.
You must not be familiar with the NEC code then as there is a specific standard for using outlets as an EV charger (NEC 625.XX). It's not just a regular stove plug if being used for EV charging. Now of course municipalities can lag a few years depending on where you live in adopting the latest NEC code, but there is a reason for the standard. An EV and a stove do not operate and use electricity in the same way, hence the specific code for EV chargers that are not hard wired.

Installing a dedicated 14-50 outlet is a ridiculous decision when the Tesla Wall Connector is available (and a 30% tax credit in the USA).

Last edited:
You must not be familiar with the NEC code then as there is a specific standard for using outlets as an EV charger (NEC 625.XX). It's not just a regular stove plug if being used for EV charging. Now of course municipalities can lag a few years depending on where you live in adopting the latest NEC code, but there is a reason for the standard. An EV and a stove do not operate and use electricity in the same way, hence the specific code for EV chargers that are not hard wired.

Installing a dedicated 14-50 outlet is a ridiculous decision when the Tesla Wall Connector is available (and a 30% tax credit in the USA).

Informative. Thank you. We had an electrician install ours. The hoops were invisible to me. Took a few hours and he was done. Works well. We live in Canada. It may be different here. Stove plugs are very common here for EV EVSE's.

51422906390_48969d503c_c.jpg

Reactions: Jeremy3292