Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician Rates to Install Socket/HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

simplesolid

Model S 60 AP2 Glass Roof
Nov 12, 2016
Florida
I am not sure if these prices I have been getting are good or not. I kind of have a feeling that I am being ripped off a bit.

So I have two options one is use existing main 150 amps and add 1 50amp circuit, for this I was quoted $1150 to install the HPWC.

Option 2 is to upgrade the main/electrical box and get a dedicated 100amp circuit for the HPWC, which I like as I am pretty sure that I'll get another Tesla as well, for this is around $2200,00.

Both options involved running new wiring from one side of the house where the main is to the other where the garage is.

This is in central Florida, please let me know how much you guys paid for your installs.

Thanks,

I am not sure if these prices I have been getting are good or not. I kind of have a feeling that I am being ripped off a bit.

So I have two options one is use existing main 150 amps and add 1 50amp circuit, for this I was quoted $1150 to install the HPWC.

Option 2 is to upgrade the main/electrical box and get a dedicated 100amp circuit for the HPWC, which I like as I am pretty sure that I'll get another Tesla as well, for this is around $2200,00.

Both options involved running new wiring from one side of the house where the main is to the other where the garage is.

This is in central Florida, please let me know how much you guys paid for your installs.

Thanks,

Just something to think about if you get another Tesla (and another wall connector). You can link them together to share the same circuit. 50A is more than enough, unless you need to fully charge all night on both cars which is an unlikely scenario.

The second price sounds entirely decent. First one seems on the high side of the range, but since we have no idea how bad the wiring run is could be entirely reasonable. Get a second quote if you don't trust the first electrician. If you do, have them do the work.

My quotes were the following:

1. 60A breaker from existing panel to a disconnect switch, then to the HPWC. approximately a 100ft run: $3500

2. Same as above: $1100

3. 100A to a new box, 80 ft run. Then 60A breaker 20ft run to HPWC. Basically set up for a 2nd charger in the future. $2000.

The electrician is still in my garage as I type this.

My house only has 100 amp service.
I have detached garage in alley (right by electrical pole)

Since I'll have 2Teslas, I decided to put new 100amp service to garage. (It does not go to house)

Cost $1800 not including cost for electric company to hook service to electrical pole

This is MInneapolis

Wow thank you everyone, sounds like I am not getting ripped off after all. I think we have about 60ft of wiring give or take.
We'll probably go with a upgrade circuit for the whole house, as I like to avoid having to redo things later on and besides our main box is kind of falling apart anyway.

Hi Adrian --

I live in Central FL and recently had a 100A HPWC installed along with a 50A NEMA 14-50. Total cost was $1350, which included some beautiful piped conduit work along with pulling permits. The car hasn't arrived yet but expected in the coming weeks. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

BTW, the group that did the work was Hughes Electric out of Eustis, FL. I am very happy with the work and would definitely recommend. In fact, I had them back a few days later for some ancillary electric work in the garage. www.hugheselectricservice.com

Here's a photo of the install. Note the NEMA 14-50 to the left by the light switch.

upload_2016-12-7_7-11-21.png

===

Reactions: HumanGenome
I just had some quotes provided for a couple of options to wire my garage. I already have a 40 amp line running to my garage which powers the Siemens Versacharge EVSE I use to charge my Leaf currently. I was hoping to run a separate 100 amp line and install an HPWC.

In order to install a new 100 amp line, the electrician said I would need to step up to 300 amp service at my house (I have 200 amp service now with a main panel and a sub panel that are both completely full), and they would need to replace my subpanel with a second full size panel and rewire everything. Then they would need to run the wire to the garage (about 50 feet or so). Total estimate was $10,500.

In order to install a new 100 amp line, the electrician said I would need to step up to 300 amp service at my house (I have 200 amp service now with a main panel and a sub panel that are both completely full), and they would need to replace my subpanel with a second full size panel and rewire everything. Then they would need to run the wire to the garage (about 50 feet or so). Total estimate was $10,500.

Seems quite a steep estimate of work. Would it not be an option for you to consolidate a few lighting circuits to free up two breaker spots? Likely you use leds/flourescent lights and those circuits are well under-utilized. 50 feet of 6/3 wire is about $100, maybe another $100 in parts/ 50A breaker.

Seems quite a steep estimate of work. Would it not be an option for you to consolidate a few lighting circuits to free up two breaker spots? Likely you use leds/flourescent lights and those circuits are well under-utilized. 50 feet of 6/3 wire is about $100, maybe another $100 in parts/ 50A breaker.

That was for a new 100 amp line. I could replace my existing 40 amp line with a 50 amp line for around a tenth of the cost of adding the 100 amp line which is what I'm probably going to do.