Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician recommendation: North Austin/Round Rock area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zaphod

Galaxy President (former)
Dec 10, 2015
Austin, TX
I did a quick search here but didn't come up with anything. Using Tesla's website for recommended electricians doesn't have many options; Smart Charge America, Grayzer Electric, and Texas Solar Power Company. Anyone have experience with any of these? Other companies that I should contact? Appreciate any recommendations.

I used Smart Charge. I believe they contracted out to a local electrician, so I don't know if the experience will translate. They did good work, but I probably overpaid and communication was not great. I'd look elsewhere first.

Mine was done by Green Light electric, though I did end up having to take the apprentice guy to the urgent care facility when he brought the pile driver down into his shin :confused:
They were on Tesla's list at the time (2014), curious why they're not there now

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Should be good start for now. Any other further recommendations are appreciated.

Hoping to figure out least painful method as breaker box is on the outside of the house on the complete opposite corner from the garage.

Can someone in Austin please help me understand the charging station rebate? My questions are below:

-What is the actual rebate for? Installation or actual physical materials?
-Can I get a second rebate if I move? Are there any stipulations around it?

I ask because I am currently in a condo and plan on installing a charger when I get my Model 3 (Q3). I’m thinking we will move out of the condo within the next 1.5-2 years as our family expands and into a house. Was hoping to double dip on the rebate. Thanks!

Can someone in Austin please help me understand the charging station rebate? My questions are below:

-What is the actual rebate for? Installation or actual physical materials?
-Can I get a second rebate if I move? Are there any stipulations around it?

I ask because I am currently in a condo and plan on installing a charger when I get my Model 3 (Q3). I’m thinking we will move out of the condo within the next 1.5-2 years as our family expands and into a house. Was hoping to double dip on the rebate. Thanks!
Best call Austin Energy, they will have the current situation for you.

Just an FYI I decided not to use the rebate because of the bullet point in the fine print that says they can put whatever charger they want on my house. I want control so I decided to not ask for the $850 it would have saved me.

Interesting bullet point.... You don't get to pick the charger?! Also why only $850 and not $1500?

Have a good experience with Austin detailing? Care to share what you had them do and the cost? Trying to get ready for when I take delivery in a few months. Thanks!

Interesting bullet point.... You don't get to pick the charger?! Also why only $850 and not $1500?

Have a good experience with Austin detailing? Care to share what you had them do and the cost? Trying to get ready for when I take delivery in a few months. Thanks!

You can pick the charger BUT the fine print says if they want to they can change out the charger to whatever one they want. I don't like that and refuse to ask for the credit. $850 was because they only will credit you back for 1/2 of the cost of your install or $1500 max. My install was $1700 so 1/2 would be $850.

Brian at Austin Detailing is amazing. He did a great job and bent over backwards for me. I had tint on my side windows and rear window through him. Plus he fixed paint issues and pointed out problems I never noticed that Tesla ended up fixing. I had the Feynlab self heal light installed on the paint/lights/wheels. It was just under 2k I think for all of that plus wash supplies. I will say that there is another Model 3 in silver at my work and mine looks way nicer than theirs. It just shines more.

Here are some videos of my car (mine is the silver one in these videos)

This one shows before/after

You can pick the charger BUT the fine print says if they want to they can change out the charger to whatever one they want. I don't like that and refuse to ask for the credit. $850 was because they only will credit you back for 1/2 of the cost of your install or $1500 max. My install was $1700 so 1/2 would be $850.

I gotta tell you that's a little paranoid. I got the 50% rebate and never heard a peep from Austin Energy. Can you seriously imagine a scenario where they would swap it out? Realistically, how much would that cost the city to do so? I'd call and ask the purpose of that before just dismissing $850. I'd imagine when they created the program more than 6 years ago, the EVSEs were much more wild west back then, so they had to be careful.

My Leviton cost $800 + $350 install at the time 5 years ago (for only 3.6 KWh), I cannot wait for the City to come get the old L2 charger I had put in for anything they can imagine to put in now.

I'll be filing for a second rebate should Tesla ever send me a black signature EVSE. I asked the city rather than speculate. Second car = second rebate for charger & installation.

Grazyer did a great install for me back in 2013. Best of 3 proposal ideas for a lengthy cable run; cheapest quote, too.
I used Grayzer as well. They seemed to do a good job at a decent enough rate: $950 to install a 40A outlet (all that my sub panel would support) and whole home surge protector. I've opted out of pursuing the rebate for similar reasons indicated in this thread. Now if Tesla could get around to supplying me something to plug into it…

I gotta tell you that's a little paranoid. I got the 50% rebate and never heard a peep from Austin Energy. Can you seriously imagine a scenario where they would swap it out? Realistically, how much would that cost the city to do so? I'd call and ask the purpose of that before just dismissing $850. I'd imagine when they created the program more than 6 years ago, the EVSEs were much more wild west back then, so they had to be careful.

My Leviton cost $800 + $350 install at the time 5 years ago (for only 3.6 KWh), I cannot wait for the City to come get the old L2 charger I had put in for anything they can imagine to put in now.

I'll be filing for a second rebate should Tesla ever send me a black signature EVSE. I asked the city rather than speculate. Second car = second rebate for charger & installation.

Call me paranoid but I don't like signing off for that. Don't get me wrong I have signed up for rebates from other things like my smart thermostats and they do turn up my set temperature every once in awhile but I always have the right to switch it back down in those cases. It helps my thermostats do it by just clicking a simple button on the app or directly on the thermostat itself. Frankly we don't notice much.

To me there is a big difference between signing off on something where I still have some control vs signing off on something that allows the city to do whatever they want and I don't have a choice. I don't know why they put that fine print in there but as long as it is in there I am not signing off on it. $850 might seem like a bunch of money to give up but in the home ownership world it is really minor pennies compared to other things I have to foot the bill for. If they want to provide a new contract without the fine print that is in there then I'll reconsider.

Call me paranoid but I don't like signing off for that. Don't get me wrong I have signed up for rebates from other things like my smart thermostats and they do turn up my set temperature every once in awhile but I always have the right to switch it back down in those cases. It helps my thermostats do it by just clicking a simple button on the app or directly on the thermostat itself. Frankly we don't notice much.

FYI about the thermostat program (I'm on my second one)... after 2 years you can be asked to be removed and keep the rebate. I went three on my first one and my second hits three this year iirc so I'm going to cancel their access soon.

I did a quick search here but didn't come up with anything. Using Tesla's website for recommended electricians doesn't have many options; Smart Charge America, Grayzer Electric, and Texas Solar Power Company. Anyone have experience with any of these? Other companies that I should contact? Appreciate any recommendations.

I went with Grayzer a little over a year ago to install my charger and a surge protector. A week ago, I went to charge my car and the outlet they had installer next to the home charger was hissing and arcing, and then the charger light would turn red when I would try to start charging. I opened it up, and several of the cables were burned. I contacted
Tesla charger.jpg
Tesla charger.jpg Grayzer and sent them the attached picture. They said a repair wasn't under the warranty (which is I guess for exactly 12 months?) and would charge $150/hr to come repair their obviously shoddy work. My husband fixed it as we didn't want to pay them to come back out and make it any worse. I told them I would share my experience with the community if they weren't going to back up their work, so please be warned!