Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solar City used to contact soon-to-be owners about installation of the NEMA 14-50 or other options. But I found it was cheaper just to use an electrician. Keep in mind that the farther the electrical box is from the new outlet, the more expensive it is to install. The one at my house is on the opposite side of the garage from where I park but the cord provided is so long (20 feet) that it doesn't matter.

Usually 14-50 outlet with the mobile connector is good enough. Having said that, the wall connector has come down in price considerably, has a longer cord than the mobile connector, and is sturdier. For my X, I've elected to put in a wall connector.

The mobile connector is good enough for me, since I have no need for the mobile connector to be "mobile"

Another thing to keep in mind is that most older Hawaii homes only have 100A residential service from HECO, and adding a 14-50 outlet may be in excess of your home's current capacity, which will require an expensive, and slow service upgrade from HECO.

For me, my typical Oahu commute is short enough that I can get by with just normal 110V, 15A charging.

Solar City used to contact soon-to-be owners about installation of the NEMA 14-50 or other options. But I found it was cheaper just to use an electrician. Keep in mind that the farther the electrical box is from the new outlet, the more expensive it is to install. The one at my house is on the opposite side of the garage from where I park but the cord provided is so long (20 feet) that it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I might just keep the outlet / wall connector in the wall near the breaker and run the cable across the other end.

Usually 14-50 outlet with the mobile connector is good enough. Having said that, the wall connector has come down in price considerably, has a longer cord than the mobile connector, and is sturdier. For my X, I've elected to put in a wall connector.

I might be leaning more toward the wall connector depending on the price of the install.
The mobile connector is good enough for me, since I have no need for the mobile connector to be "mobile"

Another thing to keep in mind is that most older Hawaii homes only have 100A residential service from HECO, and adding a 14-50 outlet may be in excess of your home's current capacity, which will require an expensive, and slow service upgrade from HECO.

For me, my typical Oahu commute is short enough that I can get by with just normal 110V, 15A charging.

☝ that must be nice!

Yes, I can recommend someone. Creative Energy Inc. in Kailua. Ask for Nikki at 262-2137. I can not be happier with the work they did. First class job. They keep informed, did the job for the quoted amount. And much less than I was preparing myself to spend.

I just completed some extensive electrical upgrades at my townhouse. The City required that I upgrade my service from 100 amp to 200 amp before I could add more PV. So, I used the same folks to do both my service upgrade and my PV upgrade. I am very pleased with their work and attention to detail.

Because of this requirement by the City, for more than two years I had been shopping electrical contractors. They said the project would require trenching across the alley/street to lay new feeder cable. Total price was more than $10k. Nikki did not give me a general quote until she pulled and researched the plans filed with the city and HECO. She learned details that allowed the city to approve the project without replacing the feeder cable and no trenching. The total cost came to less than 1/3 of most companies estimates. And because this was required by the city as part of the PV upgrade, it also qualities for the tax credits. They did the job right the first time and city inspectors approved.

I now can upgrade my 14-50 to a 100 amp circuit if I choose.

Reactions: groovidad
Tesla has added a new charging cable to the store. Now there's a Mobile connector cable with the 14-50 adapter permanently installed. Some of the early 14-50 adapters got hot and cooked. I guess this is their way of offering another cable for those that need one more, but it will be simpler than the regular mobile connector with the 14-50 adapter plugged into the end.

And there's also a long and short version of the WPC. Its nice to have choices.

Tesla has added a new charging cable to the store. Now there's a Mobile connector cable with the 14-50 adapter permanently installed. Some of the early 14-50 adapters got hot and cooked. I guess this is their way of offering another cable for those that need one more, but it will be simpler than the regular mobile connector with the 14-50 adapter plugged into the end.
And there's also a long and short version of the WPC. Its nice to have choices.

Here is the link to Tesla — Model S > Charging and Adapters

upload_2016-5-26_1-16-54.png

@Akikiki thanks for the referral on creative energy. I might give her a call just for a second opinion on a service upgrade. I previously dismissed it specifically because of the trenching that I was told would have been required was not something that u wanted to do but your post gives me some hope.

gmtom1 - you are most welcome. I think most ele contractors just look at upgrading with what is new. I mean, they prefer to price at replacing existing with new because its faster and maybe other reasons. Instead of that, Nikki went to an engineer to review my built plans and they determined the original feeder cable was of sufficient gauge to handle the load and presented the research to the city DPP. DPP approved it. So Creative Energy did their homework and found they could save me a lot of money, still be safe and the city approved it. They did all the work for me. All I had to do was watch and listen. That sold me and I also wanted them to do my additional PV. I am very pleased with the quality of their work.

Can anyone recommend out of the 3 Tesla electricians in 808, which is the best choice? Is pulling a permit really necessary? Can I just say I'm installing a new dryer in my garage?

Any electrician can install the outlet. I don't recall a permit when mine was done but that was 3 years ago. The work only costs around $300. Also, don't forget that you can write off part of the "EV charger" installation on your taxes.

Folks, a permit is required. Call the C&C DPP and ask them. Whether you choose to follow C&C of Honolulu requirements is up to you. There's electricians that will do the work without the permit. But it can leave you with a problem down the road. Want to add solar or energy storage later? Want to sell your place? If C&C inspects your place, its more difficult to fix it after than during. It all comes down to is it worth the risk and that's both doing it as required and with someone that knows what they are doing.

There's a chance the permit can be obtained online without a visit to govt offices. Check DPP website.

Last edited:
Folks, a permit is required. Call the C&C DPP and ask them. Whether you choose to follow C&C of Honolulu requirements is up to you. There's electricians that will do the work without the permit. But it can leave you with a problem down the road. Want to add solar or energy storage later? Want to sell your place? If C&C inspects your place, its more difficult to fix it after than during. It all comes down to is it worth the risk and that's both doing it as required and with someone that knows what they are doing.

There's a chance the permit can be obtained online without a visit to govt offices. Check DPP website.

I found an old email from Solar City re: permitting costs when I thinking of using them. Note this is from 3 years ago.

"permitting costs vary on region, and will be included on the final invoice. Typical permitting for EV charging ranges from ~$50-75."

As silly as this sounds right now, if you're the type that looks ahead, one thing to consider is that a 14-50 outlet will be compatible with every future EV from every car company, while a Tesla Wall Connector will only be compatible with Tesla vehicles.