Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity costs more than Fuel (well, not really)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry you are correct, electricity is 9.5 cents/KWh. I was going off of an old electricity cost.Trying to upload a picture of my bill but it’s stuck at 0%.

Nonetheless, my bill has been consistent over the past few years. I am trying to upload that spreadsheet as well.

I do a ton of highway driving and I drive an average of 80mph with my X. My wife does a local commute and drives the S. My X will usually use ~70 miles of rated range for a 50 mile trip.

View attachment 273836 View attachment 273837

Wow, do you live in a mansion? I would suggest LED bulbs.

Man that AC is costly, $300 difference between Jan and Aug.

As another poster alluded to, your WH/Mile is over 1000 based on this new lower rate AND the fact that some of your miles are charged at an SC. Even with losses going from AC-DC while charging, your WH/mile should be closer to 350-400 blended rate between the 2 vehicles.

I would highly suggest solar, you have plenty of room for savings. My average bill was only $130 before EVs and I was able to justify solar in Illinois, which is not nearly as good as Florida for sun.

It looks like your total on the spreadsheet for column E is also adding the '2017' from the first row. All the monthly charges added up is about $4363, then the added '2017' gets to the $6381 total.

This is why math teachers try to teach students to do rough estimates to check results..

Don't even need to add up the 12 numbers.

Highest monthly cost for 2017 is $512.
500 x 12 = 6000
12 x 12 = 144.
6000 + 144 = 6144
Total is wrong.

I was about to post the same thing, i.e., that the numbers DO add up . . . if you include the 2017 at the top of the column. Just eyeballing the numbers, the average difference seemed around $100/month--far too short to create the difference. "Where could the other two grand come from??? . . . . OH!"

Nice catch, @Wes3!

Sorry you are correct, electricity is 9.5 cents/KWh. I was going off of an old electricity cost.Trying to upload a picture of my bill but it’s stuck at 0%.

Nonetheless, my bill has been consistent over the past few years. I am trying to upload that spreadsheet as well.

I do a ton of highway driving and I drive an average of 80mph with my X. My wife does a local commute and drives the S. My X will usually use ~70 miles of rated range for a 50 mile trip.

View attachment 273836 View attachment 273837

Check the math on Column E in the spreadsheet above. The total is incorrect!! The total for 2017 is $4364.27.... NOT $6,381.27

Reactions: dhrivnak
Another issue to factor in to your calculations is charging efficiency. When you draw electricity through your electric meter into your car, only 85% to 95% of that electricity ends up in your cars battery. The remainder is "spilled" as heat. So if your car shows, say 50 kWh of charge, you will have to pay for about 55 kWh of electricity.

Apples to apples, the cost of charging my Model S vs my ICE car has been about 1:8. You cannot compare to a car that gets 25 mpg on regular. To get the same performance, safety, engine (regen) braking and features, you are talking a big German V-8 sedan with manual transmission. So about 10-12 mpg on premium.